Our vision is to be the global leader in outstanding venues and events with a mandate to generate economic and community benefit for the people of British Columbia through prudent management of public facilities.
BC Pavilion Corporation (PavCo), owner and operator of BC Place Stadium and the Vancouver Convention Centre, is currently searching for a dynamic and experienced Communications Manager to join our award-winning team!
Reporting to the Senior Director, Communications and Community Engagement, the Communications Manager plays a critical role in the development and execution of our communications strategy for the Vancouver Convention Centre as well as supporting the broader marketing and communications teams across PavCo including working closely with the Manager, Marketing for the Centre and the Marketing and Communications Senior Manager for BC Place.
In this role, you will need to be strategic, tactical and innovative while having the ability to lead and enhance the communications function for one of BC’s most recognized facilities and leading economic generators. Leading the execution of the communications strategy will include internal communications and engagement, social media strategy, trade and local media relations, print and online publications, community relations, special events management and issues support as required. You will act as a spokesperson for the organization and coach others in this capacity as required.
You will play an important role in enhancing the well-established profile and reputation of the Vancouver Convention Centre with a wide variety of community, industry, and government stakeholders, and local and international trade media while creating communications opportunities through various channels and resources to boost the facility’s image with clients and key stakeholders.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Create and manage an integrated communications plan for the Vancouver Convention Centre that considers internal and external communications strategies including social media, media relations, a variety of internal communications tools and more
- Support internal communications for all levels of management at the Vancouver Convention Centre; work closely with departmental partners to ensure team members receive clear and regular updates and information
- Develop and execute strategic media relations plan to support the Vancouver Convention Centre’s community and market objectives with emphasis on trade media.
- Provide media relations support for PavCo as required.
- Initiate media activities such as interviews, press conferences, and media liaison.
- Act as facility spokesperson when required and provide support and guidance to Executive on media response.
- Liaise with other industry partners when necessary.
- Execute and build on the current social media and online communications strategy to drive engagement with local and industry stakeholders, and to enhance the Centre’s reputation as a global thought leader.
- Write meaningful blogs, and create content for various social channels.
- Collaborate with industry partners to execute joint communications initiatives, including trade media FAM (familiarization) trips and to leverage joint opportunities.
- Lead the development of the Centre’s Corporate Social Responsibility Plan, and takes a lead role in helping educate and support our local community through events such as our Canada Day Open House and other communications initiatives, and various charity initiatives.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
- Completion of 4-year University degree in Marketing, Communications, Media Relations, or related area of study.
- Further education, such as a University program in English or Journalism is considered an asset.
- 5+ years of progressive experience in corporate communications in a complex work environment.
- Public speaking and media interview experience.
- General business experience in a corporate environment or in the meetings, conventions, hospitality industries is preferred.
- Strategic thinking with experience in audience focused content planning.
- Advanced writing skills that can capture the voice of the organization with a proven ability to create clear, concise messaging for team members, stakeholders and the public.
- Proactive and takes initiative.
- Able to respond quickly to issues with key messaging for the Executive team and stakeholders.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills; demonstrated ability to prioritize conflicting requirements in a timely manner.
- A sound working knowledge of a wide variety of software applications including Microsoft Office, internet communications and social media platforms. Possesses excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate in a team environment and able to work independently.
- High degree of resiliency and is motivated by challenging situations.
- Ability to work under pressure in order to meet tight timelines and to respond to pressing issues.
ONLY QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
HOW TO APPLY:
Our business is to deliver unparalleled, seamless service to our guests. We also strive to create vibrant and highly rewarding careers for people with passion and drive. If this sounds like an exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter here. We love people who really want to make a difference.
Please note: Only candidates eligible to work within Canada can apply.
At PavCo, we are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that values the strength that diversity brings to the workplace. All qualified applicants, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law, are strongly encouraged to apply.