Kwantlen Polytechnic University
Applied Communications Instructor – Competition ID: 1500
POSITION TYPE: Contract Instructor, 1 Semester Term [NR1]
POSITION START: Enrollment dependent - as early as September 1, 2022 onwards
KPU proudly offers all learners opportunities to achieve success in a diverse range of programs that blend theory and practice, critical understanding, and social and ethical awareness necessary for good citizenship and rewarding careers.
KPU endeavors to provide respectful learning and working environments that are inclusive and supportive of fair and equitable treatment of all members within its diverse community, no matter their social identity. Our campuses are located in the unceded traditional and ancestral lands of the Coast Salish peoples, including the Kwantlen, Musqueam, Katzie, Semiahmoo, Tsawwassen, Qayqayt, and Kwikwetlem.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University's Melville School of Business is one of the largest undergraduate business schools in Western Canada—consisting of over 250 business faculty, 3,500 full-time students, and 9,000 students annually enrolled in one of the 22 available program options.
Awarded the prestigious international accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), KPU's Melville School of Business meets the rigorous educational standards established by ACBSP and stands as one of the few internationally accredited business schools in the province of British Columbia.
The Melville School of Business at Kwantlen Polytechnic University is seeking to add to its contract instructor list for qualified applied communications faculty member, with one-semester, enrollment-dependent employment starting September 1, 2022 onwards. Successful candidates may be required to teach one or more applied communications courses in support of our diploma and baccalaureate degree programs. For more information about our programs and courses, please go to http://www.kpu.ca/business
The Melville School of Business offers courses online as well as in-person, with in-person classes provided at all five campuses of Kwantlen Polytechnic University [Richmond, Surrey, Cloverdale, Surrey Civic Plaza and Langley]. In the case of in-person classes, faculty are expected to be available to teach on all campuses.
The ability to teach using online and in-person delivery modes for one or more of the following courses is required:
- CMNS 1140 - Introduction to Professional Communication
- CMNS 3000 – Advanced Professional Business Communications
More information concerning the working conditions for a faculty member are outlined in Article 12 of the Kwantlen Faculty Association (KFA) Collective Agreement
Minimum required qualifications include:
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in English, Communications, Journalism or equivalent related field;
· One year of demonstrated successful experience teaching business, technical, and/or applied communications courses at the post-secondary level or experience facilitating business, technical, and/or applied communications workshops. A record of teaching excellence, inclusive teaching practices, and engagement in professional development in adult education or instruction is required.
· At least 3 years of recent professional or applied communications experience is required. Examples include but are not limited to jobs where writing is the primary function, such as leading an organizational communications strategy, designing and implementing communications plans, and/or leading comprehensive fundraising campaigns.
· No professional designation is required, but current membership in CPRS, IABC STC, and/or a similar organization is considered an asset.
- Preference will be given to applicants that can demonstrate academic and/or industry current body of knowledge in the above areas.
Proven experience in successful community engagement, with both internal and external stakeholders is considered a strong asset. As KPU prioritizes teaching excellence, experience teaching at the university level in a small-class, student-centered environment would be a strong asset.
Please apply via the KPU Career Centre at https://www.kpu.ca/hr/career-opportunities.and submit your resume and a cover letter addressing suitability for this position. Please also include copies of post-secondary transcripts in your application. For all application documents, please quote Competition #22-1500.
Note the Melville School of Business is also seeking a NR2 100% [full-time, 1-year term], qualified Applied Communications faculty member to start September 1, 2022 [see Competition 22-1499]. If additionally interested in this position, please additionally apply for Competition 22-1499].
Note to Applicants
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from equity deserving groups and diverse experiences including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2S/LGBTQIA+ community.
If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.