BC Principals’ & Vice-Principals’ Association (BCPVPA)
Are you ready for a role with scope?
Your day could start with the design and scheduling of an online campaign, and the upload of our podcast; move on to regular updates of our website, and the coordination of event sponsorship promotions with a local business; and finish up with editing content for a member memo, creating document templates for our team and live-tweeting during a webinar. Your role is focused on support for our members and the important work they do.
The BCPVPA is a not-for-profit professional association that promotes excellence in leadership for 2,600 school-based and district Principals and Vice-Principals in the K-12 public school system. The BCPVPA advocates on behalf of its members, and on issues of importance to public education; designs and delivers professional learning and leadership development programs; and supports members in their employment relationships with school districts.
The BCPVPA Communications Assistant directly supports the work of the BCPVPA Director of Communications. The Director of Communications develops, leads, and implements communication and marketing plans as well as programs and activities to effectively communicate with our members, partners, government, and the public.
As a valued member of the BCPVPA team, you'll thrive in a performance-driven environment that emphasizes employee leadership and accountability for delivering results. Anticipate a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, challenging projects, and a collaborative work environment.
As this is a key communications role, we require the submission of an electronic resume, cover letter and a minimum of three work samples that best demonstrate your design and writing experience.
Your Qualifications and Experience:
The BCPVPA Communications Assistant is responsible for providing administrative support to the BCPVPA Director of Communications, and assisting in the delivery of the BCPVPA’s strategic objectives.
We are seeking a candidate with:
- An undergraduate degree or equivalent training in a relevant discipline. Prior communications, design and marketing experience are preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and coordinating print and digital projects, with proven working knowledge of graphic and web design principles.
- Demonstrated experience working with social media tools and administering a public website on behalf of an organization or corporate entity, and engaging audiences while ensuring a commitment to brand safety and upholding brand reputation. Social platforms for engagement may include Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, Vimeo, LinkedIn, Instagram, and other relevant and emerging social media platforms.
- Demonstrated experience working with Content Management Systems for the creation of website content, newsletters and other communication templates, and the coordination of contact databases.
- Knowledge of public education and the roles of Principals and Vice-Principals as school leaders is an asset.
Our ideal candidate will demonstrate a high level of skill and proficiency in the following areas:
Design and Software Literacy
- The demonstrated use and understanding of Adobe Creative Cloud apps, with an emphasis on Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator
- The demonstrated use and understanding of Content Management Systems
- The demonstrated use and understanding of digital communication/networking technology, and effective practices in using email, word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software at an advanced level in a Windows environment
- The ability to envision, design and develop effective and accurate marketing materials within requested timelines as part of an established communications plan
- The ability to understand and interpret brand guidelines, assets, and tone to ensure a consistent brand identity
- The creation and delivery of messages on a variety of platforms, using tools such as video cameras, podcasts, webcasts, apps, social media tools and survey software
Writing and Research
- Strong written communication and editing skills, and the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing while maintaining a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- The ability to compose correspondence, reports, presentations, and other written materials using clear concise business English while adapting style and approach to a variety of audiences
- A keen eye for proofreading content, recognizing errors, and ensuring alignment with established style guides
- The ability to conduct reviews and to collect, analyze and summarize data with a high degree of accuracy
- The ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities with a positive attitude while working under pressure to meet deadlines
- The ability to clearly communicate questions, concerns, and feedback to ensure that projects are effectively managed
- The ability to develop and maintain cooperative, productive working relationships with a wide spectrum of contacts while balancing a range of perspectives in a calm, courteous and effective manner
- The ability to work effectively both independently and in a collaborative team environment while consistently demonstrating tact, discretion, and a high degree of confidentiality
- The ability to work effectively both in an office environment and to work remotely as required
- Provides support directly to the BCPVPA Director of Communications
- Provides support to the BCPVPA President and Executive Director as requested
- Provides support for ongoing campaigns, public relations and marketing activities designed to raise the profile of the BCPVPA and its brand to members, partners, government, and the public
- Website: Responsible for administration of the BCPVPA public-facing website using a Content Management System, including regular reviews, execution of content updates, and creation of new site content and associated documents; and responsible for day-to-day administration of the member-access web portal
- Newsletter: Responsible for coordinating, writing, and editing content for the BCPVPA weekly member newsletter, and coordinating contacts and document distribution through a Content Management System
- Member Communications: Responsible for coordinating and editing content for BCPVPA member updates, and coordinating contacts and document distribution through a Content Management System
- Social Media Platforms: Responsible for day-to-day activity on BCPVPA social media platforms, including reading and responding to follower posts, creating and scheduling campaigns, and tracking and reporting analytics
- Design and Material Creation: Responsible for designing and producing effective and visually appealing communication materials and digital assets as assigned by the Director of Communications within brand guidelines and established timelines; materials may include physical and digital signage, forms, member communications, presentations, and promotional materials
- Podcast: Responsible for processing, uploading, and promoting monthly BCPVPA podcast
- Analytics and Monitoring: Responsible for tracking online analytics and undertaking media monitoring activities and – as directed by the Director of Communications – researching and collating information of importance to the BCPVPA’s senior staff, the BCPVPA Board of Directors and BCPVPA members
- Publications: Responsible for working with authors, editors, publishers, and advertisers as required in relation to BCPVPA print and digital publications, and undertaking story interviews, content creation and article layout as assigned
- Administration: Responsible for maintaining and regularly updating media and contact lists, document creation, and administrative duties as assigned
- Events: Responsible for supporting the creation and successful execution of events that may include staff meetings, member events, conferences, orientations, exhibitions, and partner events
- Teams: Responsible for actively participating in all Association events and activities as required
This position is based at the BC Principals’ & Vice-Principals’ Association office in Vancouver, BC, but may require the successful applicant to work remotely based on current health protocols in the Coastal Health region.
The hours for this role are generally 8:00am – 4:00pm Monday to Friday, but some evening and weekend work may be required.
Please only apply if you have the qualifications required, or equivalent training. The successful applicant may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check. All applications must be received by 5:00 pm on Monday May 31, 2021.
Please submit your electronic resume, cover letter and a minimum of three work samples that best demonstrate your design and writing experience to:
Executive Director, BCPVPA
While we greatly appreciate the interest of all applicants, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted, and these applicants will be required to provide a minimum of three professional references at the time of the interview.