BCPSQC is committed to an equitable, diverse and inclusive workforce. We recognize that there are a variety of experiences that contribute to the overall qualifications for each role. If you feel that you could excel in this position, but do not necessarily meeting the formal requirements, we want to hear from you!
In particular, we encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas at the Council to apply.
Our work leads to better health care for British Columbians. Using evidence-informed strategies, we shift culture, improve clinical practice and accelerate our partners’ improvement efforts to support the best care possible for every person in our province.
The Communications Leader is responsible for providing advice and communication services for the BC Patient Safety & Quality Council in its role as Secretariat, Measurement System for Physician Quality Improvement (MSPQI). The Communications Leader develops and supports implementation of a comprehensive communication strategy for the Council, and provides expertise and guidance to peers in writing, editing and producing consistent and quality communications materials for the Council. The Communications Leader plans strategy and develops a coordinated action plan to ensure communications are high quality, consistent and facilitate change while maintaining relationships among both internal and external stakeholders.
- Liaises and collaborates where necessary, with media, representatives from Doctors of BC, Health Authorities and from the Ministry of Health, provincial and federal agencies, members of the community including patients, affiliated professional organizations and affiliated groups, and the general public to respond to requests for information, as well as to collaborate on joint initiatives and events.
- Writes, edits and produces diverse communications such as web-based media, internal briefs, project monitoring reports, newsletters, brochures, displays, speeches and presentations to ensure overall quality, consistency and effectiveness of complex communication materials.
- Co-ordinates the production and distribution of external publications such as annual reports and educational materials. Determines content in conjunction with Director, Measurement System for Physician Quality Improvement and the MSPQI team. Researches, writes articles, and works with others such as designers, photographers and printers.
- Provides advice and guidance to team members in all aspects of written work to ensure quality messages and materials. Contributes to the development and content management of the Council’s web site.
- Liaises with stakeholders, both internal and external, to develop a broad understanding of important issues, challenges and strategic directions being undertaken and to foster open dialogue between key stakeholders and communicates messages clearly and concisely to promote awareness of initiatives and contribute to a positive reputation for the Council.
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline such as a Degree in Journalism, Public Relations or Communications, combined with at least five years of experience in a communications role.
Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products, Adobe Acrobat, database and web-based programs. Qualities include: excellent interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and written); superior journalistic business writing and the creation of compelling publications; skill and proficiency in organizational electronic communication technology, desktop publishing and web-based technology practices; ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive issues with skill, tact and diplomacy; excellent decision making skills; ability to work independently and as part of a team; flexibility to reprioritize quickly to meet changing priorities; strong communication skills and ability to work effectively and diplomatically with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders; organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload and work under time pressures to meet deadlines, including time management skills to assist others to meet deadlines; ability to use related equipment including project management, word processing, and spreadsheet software at an advanced level; project management skills; and physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: January 9, 2022
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted; others will be kept in our database for future consideration.