Come work as a Communications Leader, Planetary Health with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Are you up for a challenge? Health care communications is a dynamic, ever-evolving environment. It’s never boring or without purpose – you’ll always be learning something new and supporting the delivery of the best care possible to our communities.
As part of the award-winning Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) Corporate Communications team, the Communications Leader, Planetary Health is a dynamic self-starter who is resourceful, creative, and client-focused. The ideal candidate is capable of seeing the big picture and yet not shy about rolling up their sleeves to work shoulder-to-shoulder with team members to implement tactics and meet project deadlines.
This role requires everything from big-picture planning to execution of all tactics that make for a successful communication campaign or initiative. The Communications Leader should be able to proactively identify opportunities for internal and external communication, as well as potential communication risks, and serves as a trusted advisor, demonstrating a positive attitude, critical thinking skills, creativity, diplomacy and above-average communication skills.
The ideal candidate should also have an appreciation of measurement and evaluation, and understand how to apply data to improve audience engagement and contribute to larger organizational goals and objectives. The impact of your insightful decision-making abilities will be evident in the successful engagement of our key stakeholders and influence attitude or behaviour changes.
Reporting to the Director of Corporate Communications and the Director of Transformation, the Communications Leader is accountable for developing, coordinating and implementing strategic communications and strengthening the health authority’s reputation with both internal and external stakeholders. The leader will be responsible for the communications and engagement needs of our Planetary Health portfolio and provide expertise and support in writing, editing and producing consistent, quality communications. The leader will work with staff and leaders across the department in the development and strengthening of core communications competencies and with Public Affairs and Stakeholder Relations teams to ensure consistency in communication strategies and messaging.
As a Communications Leader, Planetary Health with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Provide strategic communications counsel, planning and leadership to leaders and a variety of other stakeholders across the department and organization.
- Plan, coordinate and execute effective communications, change management strategies and techniques designed to meet the needs of target audiences.
- Provide advice and guidance and communications direction both internally and externally to ensure the successful implementation of marketing and communication strategies to build a strong VCH brand.
- Take a lead role in planning, coordinating and implementing special projects and events to advance strategic priorities and increase employee engagement and involvement.
- Work with other Corporate Communications team members to ensure writing, production and delivery of messages are consistent and aligned across the organization, identifies and participates in collaborative communication initiatives.
- Liaise with stakeholders and experts at all levels of the organization to develop a broad understanding of important issues, challenges and strategic directions being undertaken, provide advice and develop related communications.
- Effectively research, write, design and produce a wide variety of high-quality written and digital content for VCH-wide publications including newsletters, internet and intranet and social media campaigns and ensures messages are presented appropriately to target audiences.
- Demonstrate expertise with various content management systems, including MS Sharepoint, Drupal; familiarity with social media channels and working knowledge of graphic design and photo/video editing tools
- Provide event design and coordination by scheduling and organizing events, setting up presenters, developing briefing notes, speaking notes and presentations and arranging for ongoing feedback and measurement.
- Coordinate opinion surveys to use feedback to measure the effectiveness of communication tactics. Recommends communication strategies in response to the outcomes and makes adjustments as appropriate.
- Work in collaboration with Digital Team, in the development and ongoing maintenance of the Planetary Health section of our corporate intranet and external web pages to ensure content is regularly refreshed and meets desired organizational goals and deliverables.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, or Journalism supplemented with industry-recognized accreditation.
- Minimum of seven (7) to ten (10) years’ recent related experience including development, implementation and evaluation of operational and strategic communications or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Advanced ability to use desktop publishing, graphics, presentation, word processing, spreadsheet, database and web-based software.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Uses an understanding of the many diverse audiences and unique challenges faced by the department and health authority to communicate across diverse sites and audiences.
- Applies facilitation and consensus building skills to develop communication strategies and messaging involving a variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work and balance multiple activities concurrently, and in a manner that optimizes departmental effectiveness and contributes to organizational success.
- Ability to analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution and maximize marketing campaigns.
- Demonstrates creativity, resourcefulness, and an excellent customer service-orientation.
- Uses strong journalistic business writing and editing skills to compose effective communications for a variety of target audiences in a clear and concise manner.
- Uses exceptional interpersonal and verbal communication skills to gather information and work effectively with a variety of stakeholders.
- Uses advanced computer skills in a variety of software applications and web-based technologies including content management, to develop attractive communications materials.
- Employs the ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with skill, tact and diplomacy.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2022.
Please note that a resume is required to apply to this posting.
Hours of Work may vary due to project requirements.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.