This role supports two General Managers in Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability and Development, Building and Licences. The Manager is the single point of contact and provides communication consulting expertise and guidance, along with project planning and project management expertise, to enable the overall success of the client group.
The Manager leads in the planning, development, implementation and coordination of proactive communication programs and strategies from both a City-wide and client group perspective. Provides leadership and direction to a team of communications staff and outside contractors and suppliers to ensure program continuity and flexibility to meet emerging needs; including hiring, termination, evaluation, discipline, support, coaching, professional development and representing the employer in the grievance process.
Works closely with the Director and other Communication centers of expertise to deliver, implement and support an integrated and complementary approach to all communication efforts within the City.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Reports directly to and works closely with the Director, Corporate Communications and partners with senior leaders across the organization such as members of the City Leadership Team. Manages a team of communications professionals.
Key contacts are the organization’s senior executives, client departments, project leads, communications staff and outside contractors.
Manager oversees the deliverables of and is supported by communications coordinators, and central services such as: media relations, graphic design, public engagement, event support, web and digital teams, production management and stakeholder outreach.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Communications
•Minimum 8 - 10 years of experience in progressively senior communications roles in organizational communications portfolio
•Minimum 5 years’ experience managing employees, project teams and contractors
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Successful candidate will be:
• a self-starter and critical thinker
• an excellent communicator, with excellent verbal and written communications skills
• able to diplomatically ask questions, challenge and suggest alternative strategies and approaches
• experienced at developing and executing strategic communications plans
• able to see the big picture and anticipate emerging issues and trends, and then tailor communications tactics to address them.
• at an advanced level of expertise with corporate and media issues management
• experienced with project planning and project management skills across the range of communications disciplines
• able to manage, prioritize, and execute multiple projects and teams at time
• a strong and valued individual contributor as well as an integral collaborative member of the communications team
• skilled at relationship building and with providing advice to senior executives
• able to demonstrate resourceful thinking and have the ability to make decisions and organize their thoughts under time and budget constraints
• knowledgeable about local government operations and processes
The ability to communicate in a second language would be an asset.