AFL is a leading provider of integrated solutions in the fiber optics industry. By offering expertise, products, and services in engineering, construction, and installation and repairs, AFL provides end-to-end solutions for customers’ broadband networks. From being environmentally-conscious to ensuring a healthy and safe working environment, AFL invests in its employees. AFL proactively engages with its communities through grants, service projects, environmental initiatives and more. Through a culture of commitment and collaboration, the company is a trusted advisor for customers in the telecom, oil and gas, and utilities markets. AFL is proud of its impact on communities, connecting people with innovative technologies, exceptional products and high-quality services.
We have a reputation in the fiber optics industry for consistently being at the forefront of technology and innovation. Want proof? We were founded in 1984 with a single product, fiber optic ground wire. Today, we sell thousands of products and services to multiple markets across the globe and have become a billion-dollar company in revenue. Not only do we have a track record for growth and financial stability, but we are also backed by Fujikura, a $6 billion company with a 128-year history of product innovation. With our culture of commitment and professional growth opportunities, AFL will give you the opportunity to reach new heights and take your career to the next level.
AFL has operations in Canada, the U.S., Mexico, Europe, Asia and Australia and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Fujikura Ltd. of Japan.
Under the general direction of the Senior Vice President, Business Development, the Manager, Communications is responsible for providing proactive and reactive internal and external communications leadership. This role leads the internal communications strategy development and execution. The role also supports external communications, including brand awareness and social media. The Manager, Communications collaborates with teams across the organization to provide strategic communications leadership and support to ensure consistent communications across a variety of channels.
- Lead the development and execution of the internal and external communications strategies to ensure company programs, strategies, values, initiatives, and team and community engagement activities are consistently communicated, understood and embedded.
- Lead the development and continuous improvement of the organization’s internal communications channels such as the intranet, digital boards, and print and electronic communications.
- Lead the creation of communication materials using multiple channels including digital media, newsletters, in-person events, executive messages, brochures, presentations, newsletters, surveys, posters, trade show materials, videos, website content.
- Proofread, edit, and review internal and external marketing and communication materials, including website content, executive communications, trade event and career fair materials, manuals, presentations, reports and other communications to ensure grammar, punctuation, and brand standards have been applied.
- Review communication across the organization to develop, maintain, and communicate standards and processes for internal communications to ensure clarity, simplicity, style, consistency, and brand alignment.
- Develop internal communications that help foster employee engagement and support the organization’s strategy.
- Stay informed of key milestones and events from all departments and provide timely and effective communication support and guidance.
- Design and use communications measurement strategies.
- Support the development and training of team members to ensure the team is delivering on the business needs.
- Develop and maintain a style guide to ensure consistency.
- Ensure internal communications are translated (English to French) in a timely manner and aligned with employee engagement and the internal communications strategy.
- Manage the organization’s external communications to ensure consistency in key messaging and alignment with brand and corporate direction.
- Coordinate advertising to ensure maximum branding impact, consistency, and return on investment.
- Participate in working groups to plan and lead communications support.
- Collaborate with various key stakeholders including Operations, Corporate Services, senior leadership, Marketing, and other partners.
- Help build and maintain positive relations within the team.
- Protect organizations’ values by keeping information confidential.
- Perform other administrative and miscellaneous duties as requested, directed or assigned.
- Enhance organizational reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing requests and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishment.
- Adhere to and promote the environmental, health, and safety policies of AFL.
- Leadership – direct others and develops the ability of others to perform and contribute to the organization by providing ongoing feedback and opportunities to learn through formal and informal methods.
- Flexible – open to change and new information and rapidly adapts to changing conditions or unexpected obstacles.
- Detail-oriented – excellent attention to detail with the ability to follow through on assigned tasks.
- Independent – ability to work well under limited supervision.
- Analytical thinking/problem solving – capable of complex reasoning and analysis.
- Results-focused – driven to achieve.
- Interpersonal skills – able to collaborate on projects, maintain effective relationships, and communicate clearly at all levels of the business.
- Adaptability – capable of working in a fast-paced environment, adapting to various situations, and prioritizing multiple work assignments simultaneously.
- Team player skills – possess strong commitment to team environment dynamics with the ability to contribute expertise and follow leadership directives at appropriate times.
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in communications and media relations
- Fluency in English (written and oral) is required, French is an asset
- Superior writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in web-based technologies as well as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe and Database Management
- Current on emerging communications technologies, trends, and practices
- A broad understanding of how the media works and thorough knowledge of communications and marketing
- Normal office environment
- 40 hours/week, with general hours of Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm
- Occasional travel across Canada may be required; limited travel within the U.S
Minimum Education Preferred Degree or Type Bachelor’s Degree Communications, Journalism, Business, or related field Required Certifications & Licenses N/A