The National Police Federation is currently hiring a full-time Communications/Media Relations Coordinator to join our growing team.
Overview of the Role:
Reporting to: Primary: Media Relations Manager/Secondary: Communications Manager
Location: Lower Mainland, B.C./Remote
The NPF is looking for a Lower Mainland, B.C.-based Communications/Media Relations Coordinator to join our primarily remote, cross-Canada team. The successful candidate will play a key role in helping to organize and deliver on a range of communications, media relations, and issues management initiatives.
The Communications/Media Relations Coordinator will report to our Toronto-based Media Relations Manager and work closely with them on national and regional media relations initiatives. They will also work with and require approvals from our Calgary-based Communications Manager for communications work. The Coordinator will have the opportunity to work directly with RCMP Members in B.C., the province with the most serving Members, through video and phone interviews, local events, and other interactions and initiatives.
The Coordinator will work with seven communications team colleagues across Canada, as well as other internal teams and departments. This position requires a strong blend of collaboration and independence, demonstrated experience with both internal and external communications, and a genuine desire to support our RCMP Members.
Who We Are:
The National Police Federation (NPF) is the sole certified bargaining agent for regular Members and reservists of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police below the rank of Inspector. The National Police Federation (NPF) was certified to represent ~20,000 RCMP Members serving across Canada and internationally in the summer of 2019. We are the largest police labour relations organization in Canada, the second largest in North America and the first independent national association to represent RCMP Members.
Our mission is to provide strong, fair and progressive representation to promote and enhance the rights of our Members across the country.
Our head office is located in Ottawa but over half our staff work remotely across Canada. We stay closely connected through our active internal communications program and up-to-date I.T. tools.
Why Work with the NPF?
- Competitive compensation package.
- Generous Group Benefit package including Health Care Spending Account.
- Group Registered Savings Plan (GRSP).
- Professional development opportunities.
- An inclusive, passionate and fun team environment.
- Create social media content (writing, planning, and posting) for national social channels and designated regional campaigns.
- Prepare timely content for response to evolving issues and opportunities not contemplated in NPF’s planned content calendar.
- Prepare and disseminate e-mail updates to NPF’s ~20,000 Members through MailChimp.
- Post ongoing content to the NPF website.
- Prepare and share regular metrics of media coverage, performance, and sentiment.
- Review and compile daily reports of relevant traditional media coverage to share with the NPF team.
- Support the drafting and preparation of press releases and media-related materials for distribution.
- Support the Media Relations Manager with tracking and responding to media relations inquiries.
- Monitor traditional and social media for emerging issues, breaking relevant stories, using CISION and other tools.
- Arrange and share news alerts of media coverage on evolving issues as requested.
- Support the Media Relations Manager in maintaining the NPF media database, including contact information, key interests and coverage.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Diploma or degree in communications or public relations.
- 2+ years of related corporate communications and media relations work experience.
- Self-starter: Able to independently initiate, prioritize, and organize projects and decisions.
- Exceptional writing, proofreading, and editing skills with high attention to detail.
- Must be highly proficient with Microsoft Office Productivity tools (Teams and Outlook).
- Familiarity with MailChimp, WordPress, SurveyMonkey, Teams, and SharePoint.
- Strong research and outreach experience and skills.
- Be available for on-site work with Members in the Lower Mainland; this requires reliable and available transportation.
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills.
- Proven ability to work under pressure on tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Respect for confidential information.
- Willingness and ability to occasionally work evenings and an on-call weekend rotation.
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally for team meetings.
- Bilingualism a plus (equally fluent written and oral English and French).
The National Police Federation hires based on merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified persons to apply.
While we welcome applications from all interested individuals, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.