One year fulltime temporary position (September 2018 – September 2019)
West Vancouver Schools is looking for an experienced Communications Officer to create and implement communications strategies that further our goals. We are in need of someone who can promote our brand, interact with the public and establish productive relationships with key stakeholders. Applicants should be excited about developing and implementing plans to engage target audiences and spread the message of our stories and success. The ideal candidate should have a proven track record of success in the communications sector or related fields, as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills. Preference will be given to those who also have experience and skills in Digital Marketing and Customer Service.
As one of the corporate storytellers, the Communications Officer must be able to recognize potential internal stories to tell news media, parents and district staff. The work often involves visiting schools and other district sites and events to photograph and document activities to share with internal and external audiences. The role may require after-hours/weekend work.
This role will require you to work independently and under the direction of the Manager of Communications and Community Engagement. In this customer service oriented role, you will also liase regularly with West Vancouver Schools’ various departments, schools and District staff to stay up to date with of all of programs and initiatives. With a pulse on the school district’s happenings you will produce and publish text and visual content for our public website and internal staff portal.
Communications Officer Responsibilities
- Proactively prepare regular communications pieces to ensure West Vancouver Schools has a consistent, strong message.
- Develop, support and promote company goals, including message development, social media content creation and media outreach
- Develop and disseminate public relations materials that increase our visibility among stakeholders and lawmakers
- Build and maintain relationships with internal and external customer audiences, that will help advance our work
- Assist with the response to media inquiries effectively and appropriately to meet the needs of West Vancouver Schools and journalists.
- Identify target audiences and create strategies to effectively engage them
- Ensure digital marketing content aligns with our brand’s identity and message, and assist with marketing campaigns as needed
- Posting information in a timely and organized way to the District’s website, as well as maintaining an engaging social media presence for West Vancouver Schools.
- Work closely with leaders and executives to develop and strengthen employee engagement activities
Communications Officer Skills and Qualifications
- At minimum a Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field
- A minimum of two years’ experience in communications strategy development
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of digital marketing tactics, such as SEO and email marketing
- Excellent critical thinking skills and the ability to exercise good judgment and solve problems quickly and effectively
- Experience working in customer relations preferred
- Valid BC Driver’s License (Class 5)
The District offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with qualifications.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a resume via www.makeafuture.ca/west-vancouver
by no later than 1:00pm Wednesday August 15, 2018. Please note that email and fax applications will not be accepted.
Successful applicants not currently employed by West Vancouver Schools are required to sign a “consent for Criminal Record Search” to permit a criminal record review. Only those individuals under consideration will be contacted.