The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
Communications Officer, Corporate
We are a valued team of storytellers who are a driving force in creating the best possible experience for our patients. Our communications officers are integral to our organization. You will work alongside health care providers and research leaders known around the world for treatment, innovation and care. Being a trusted advisor regarding highly complex issues and projects will keep you busy.
We are looking for a team member who will be:
- A savvy member of a large, complex organization – skilled in working in a matrix environment, collaborative in building relationships, and smart in knowing how to prioritize competing interests and requests.
- A self-starter who takes initiative to creatively identify and execute media opportunities, respond quickly to issues, and recommend effective messages, versus awaiting direction.
- A supportive “team player” who views their role as helping and enabling their colleagues’ success, as much as securing support for their own. No lone wolves.
- An effective storyteller who can put our best foot forward in identifying stories and managing issues.
Reporting to the Manager of Corporate Communications, you are responsible for providing communications services and advice for a variety of PHSA services and programs, both internal and external, including responding to media requests and issues. You will: create news releases, issues notes and key messages for interviews; provide expertise and guidance to peers regarding media relations, writing, editing and producing consistent and quality communications materials; develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders; and develop communication and event plans. You also have experience with media and issues management utilizing social media.
- Liaise with media, representatives from other Health Authorities, the Ministry of Health, provincial and federal agencies, healthcare companies, research institutions, universities, affiliated professional organizations and affiliated groups, and the general public to respond to requests for information, as well as to collaborate on joint initiatives and events.
- Act as a primary contact for media enquiries for PHSA services and programs
- Write, edit and distribute effective media releases, key messages and issue notes, as well as social and on-line media contributions and events plans.
- Ensure overall quality, consistency and effectiveness of complex and communication materials.
- Promote awareness of initiatives and contribute to a positive reputation for PHSA.
- Actively identify and produce social media and online content for PHSA programs and services.
- Bachelor degree.
- Post-secondary training in Communications, Public Relations or Website design and content.
- Minimum five years of experience in a Web or Online Media role.
- Proven writing skills – sample briefing note and news release required.
- Ability to write a Communications plan – sample required.
- Proficiency in social media, including content posting and distribution.
- The ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive issues with tact and diplomacy.
- Experience in proactive public relations, and identifying and executing story opportunities.
- Experience with web design and SharePoint.
- Skills in desktop layout and design, presentations and Adobe Creative Suite.
Nice to have
- Issues management experience.
- Experience with social media analytics and strategy, including Hootsuite.
- Skills in mobile video editing.
We invite you to apply by clicking the link below and then the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://careers.phsa.ca
The PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.