Do you want to be part of our innovative and entrepreneurial team?
Do you thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and enjoy working in a team atmosphere? Are you an “outside the box” thinker who strives to implement continuous improvements? Do you take a strategic approach to your work? Do you enjoy working in a fast-paced culture where your opinions are valued and respected? Do you enjoy building partnerships to solve mutually beneficial challenges?
Mitacs is a national not-for-profit that helps industry and non-profit partners solve strategic challenges by leveraging Canada’s world-class post-secondary talent and a global network of industry, academic, and government partnerships. Through these collaborations, Mitacs helps business and community partners succeed, improves students’ on-the-job skills development, and strengthens Canada’s world-class innovation ecosystem. At Mitacs, we strive to develop the next generation of innovators with vital research and business skills. In partnership with domestic and international companies, governments and academia, we support a new economy using Canada’s most valuable resource – its people.
To get a better understanding of Mitacs and read more about our values, please visit our website
The Communications Specialist is responsible for the planning, execution and delivery of strategic communications. The successful candidate for this position will be a self-motivated, proactive, and excellent communicator with a track record of professionalism and leadership. Their strength as a team player is balanced by an ability to work independently in a fast-paced and flexible environment. Known for their exceptional communication and relationship-building skills, they are effective and diplomatic in their interactions with key stakeholders in business, academia, and government spheres.
- Under the direction of Manager, Communications, implement communications strategy
- Write communications plans and implement tactics
- Oversee and implement social media strategy with a focus on advancing our reputation and recognizing proactive communication opportunities
- Implement Success Story strategy, including corporate journalism content, social media, and media strategy, including tactics to leverage media coverage, and developing media plans, advisories, and releases
- Develop and implement media pitches, editorial content, story sources, and interviews
- Draft corporate communications materials, including articles, presentations, handouts, videos, annual reports, and other collateral
- Support corporate, government, and partner events with advisories, releases, speaking notes, and other deliverables
- Monitor, measure, and report on communications activities
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of team processes, operations, and best practices
- Collaborate with Marketing, National Partnerships, International Partnerships, Policy, and Business Development teams to maximize communications to external audiences
- Initiate and maintain relationships with key media contacts, industry association/publications, and university communications personnel across Canada
- Support colleagues throughout Marketing and Communications teams
- Other related duties
- A university degree in a related field and a minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience
- Extensive experience in communication planning and execution
- Expert in social media
- Excellent research, interviewing, writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Ability to translate technical/research concepts into common language of interest to general audience
- Awareness and interest in current events and news sources
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to manage competing projects and deadlines
- A self-starter who communicates proactively and diplomatically, and works well in a team-environment
- The ability to anticipate challenges and understand implications of decisions
- Enjoys a fast-paced and flexible environment
- Advanced knowledge of Abode Creative Suite, Hootsuite, and Microsoft office, including Excel
- Bilingual in French and English is an asset
Mitacs fosters a culture where creativity, innovation, diversity, and inclusion are valued, encouraged and fostered. We offer a comprehensive benefits package and a team-based work environment, and we are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.