Do you thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and enjoy working in a team atmosphere? Are you an “outside the box” thinker who strives to implement continuous improvements? Do you take a strategic approach to your work? Do you enjoy a fast-paced culture where your opinions are valued and respected? If you answered Yes, Mitacs may be the place for you. We help our partners solve strategic challenges by leveraging Canada’s world-class post-secondary talent and a global network of industry, academic, and government partnerships. Through these collaborations, Mitacs helps business and community partners succeed, improves students’ on-the-job skills development, and strengthens Canada’s world-class innovation ecosystem. To get a better understanding of Mitacs and read more about our values please visit our website.
As the Communications Specialist, you are an experienced communications professional, skilled at crafting clear, compelling copy and sharing it across multiple channels. You will be responsible for writing blog content, social media posts and media pitches, as well as establishing a strong social media presence and providing public relations support. You are a passionate storyteller with an eye for detail and ability to complete tasks error-free and on time.
As you will be responsible for planning and implementing communication activities, you will be self-motivated and proactive, a team player who can also work independently in a fast-paced and flexible environment. One of your strengths is relationship building and you are effective and diplomatic in your interactions with key stakeholders, whether they be in business, academia or government.
Key Responsibilities of the Role:
- Collaborate with Marketing, National Partnerships, International Partnerships, Policy, and Business Development teams to create and implement media pitches, editorial content, story sources, and interviews
- Initiate and maintain relationships with key media contacts, industry association/publications, and university communications personnel across Canada
- Draft and proofread corporate communications materials, including articles, presentations, handouts, videos, annual reports, and other collateral
- Support corporate, government, and partner events with advisories, news releases, speaking notes and other deliverables
- Implement communications strategies including responsibility for daily social media posting
- Optimize company pages within each platform to increase the visibility of social content
- Create editorial calendars and syndication schedules
- Continuously improve by capturing and analyzing the appropriate social data/metrics, insights and best practices, and then acting on the information
- Other duties as may be required
Education and Experience:
- A post-secondary degree in Journalism, Communications or Public Relationship
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ relevant experience in a corporate communications role with a focus on public relations and content creation
- Experienced user of social media scheduling tools, MS Office and Abode Creative Suite
- Excellent research, interviewing, writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Ability to translate technical/research concepts into common language to general audience
- Proven Ability to lead and manage projects independently and work collaboratively and cross-functionally
- Detail oriented with superior organizational and project management skills, able to mange multiple projects under tight timeline
- Can anticipate challenges and understand implications of decisions
- Enjoys a fast-paced and flexible environment
- Bilingual in French and English an asset, but not required
Mitacs fosters a culture where creativity, innovation, diversity, and inclusion are valued, encouraged and fostered. We offer a comprehensive benefits package and a team-based work environment, and we are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.