BE PART OF THE TEAM THAT BRINGS THE WORLD TOGETHER.
Career Opportunity: Community Office Specialist (Replacement term for a period up to one year)
Want to work in an exciting environment with some of the most talented people in Canada? Join our team and connect with your potential.
The Port of Vancouver is Canada’s largest and most diversified port, stretching along 360 kilometres of shoreline and waterways, bordering on 16 municipalities and intersecting with traditional territories and treaty lands of several Coast Salish First Nations. Annually $200 billion in goods with more than 170 world economies are traded through the port. The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority manages port lands at the Port of Vancouver, and leads the efficient and reliable movement of cargo and passengers.
The Community Office Specialist is responsible for Delta Community Office operations, and coordination and participation in the development and implementation of VFPA’s project communications and engagement activities. This includes day-to-day office management, and providing general business communications support for outreach, engagement and assisting with other related activities as required.
In this role, you will:
• Perform a wide range of day-to-day office management and operation duties.
• Coordinate the implementation of VFPA’s project communications and engagement programs in support of team members and applicable strategic initiatives and business objectives.
• Work in collaboration with team members to develop communications materials for various audiences in traditional and social media environments.
• Interact with the general public visiting the Delta Community Office and providing appropriate information and VFPA messages.
• Effectively and efficiently develop communications from a wide variety of sources, including scientific and non-scientific content.
• Plan, coordinate and implement engagement and consultation events, meetings and workshops, including sending out invitations, booking speakers, catering, etc.
• Prepare, disseminate and coordinate all correspondence and information sharing with communities in relation to engagement and formal consultation on VFPA infrastructure projects.
• Coordinate and participate in meetings, both internally and with communities, as necessary.
• As required, represent VFPA at community and business events and be able to speak confidently to port authority projects/initiatives.
• Provide general business communications support to VFPA and the department as assigned, including preparing status updates, briefing notes, communication plans, presentations, meeting materials and other documents as required.
• Perform research in support of department initiatives.
• Perform other assigned duties as required.
As a successful candidate, you will have completed a university degree in communications or another acceptable discipline from a recognized educational institution, along with a minimum of two years of experience in communications, community engagement and consultation activities and/or project support. Must have proficiency in Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel.
Must be an independent, self-motivated individual with excellent interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy and the ability to liaise effectively and positively with both staff and outside contacts. This person will have an excellent command of the English language, both oral and written. Must be a team player with a "customer service" focus. Good organizational skills and flexibility to perform multiple tasks are required.
Normal office conditions with the requirement to occasionally participate in community meetings and events in the evening. Work location is at the Delta Community Office in Ladner, B.C. Includes working at Canada Place office one day a week and Delta Community Office four days a week, including on Saturdays.
Work Day Location Work Hours
Tues Vancouver 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Wed - Fri Delta 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Sat Delta 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
The port authority offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including an Earned Time Off program.
If we have accurately captured your profile above, please apply at https://www.portvancouver.com/careers/.
(Please note that this posting will remain active until the position is filled.)