Director, Brand & External Communications
Job ID: 3266
Location: Burnaby, BC
Director, Brand & External Communications
BC Housing is a provincial Crown agency with an annual budget of $1.45 billion (2019/20) and a portfolio of housing services and programs that assist 110,400+ households in over 300 communities provincewide. As such, we continually seek sustainable housing solutions that are supported by excellence in service delivery and research, and take into account social, financial and environmental impacts.
There is not a more compelling opportunity for a communications professional than joining the leadership of a team committed to making a positive difference in people’s lives and communities. This is that opportunity: BC Housing is recruiting a Director of Brand and External Communications, to build the capacity of the high-performing team responsible for delivering safe, affordable and quality housing for British Columbians.
The Communications Branch is responsible for developing and managing all aspects of internal and external communications strategies to educate and inform the public and staff regarding the delivery of affordable housing programs by the government. This is achieved through a broad range of activities related to media relations, issues management, social media, employee communications, and government, stakeholder and community relations. As Director of Brand and External Communications, you’ll play a vital role by taking the lead in developing and implementing BC Housing’s external communications and marketing strategies and tactics.
Reporting to the Vice President, Communications, and occasionally acting for the VP, you’ll provide leadership to a team of professionals mandated with supporting the organization’s strategic objectives through communications planning, media relations, public events, issues management, public affairs, information campaigns, and digital engagement, including social media. As a valued member of the Communications leadership team, you’ll work closely with the VP in assessing BC Housing’s strategic communications requirements, developing a broad communications strategy, and providing oversight and quality control in the implementation of communications programs and initiatives.
Committed to keeping your finger on the pulse of the industry, you’re conversant with the latest trends and best practices in communications as they apply to complex organizations like ours, and welcome the opportunity to act on behalf of the VP, as required, and lead by example in advancing BC Housing’s communications objectives. marketing, public affairs and stakeholder relations, will have prepared you well to become our new Director, Brand and External Communications. This senior role is also a great opportunity to call upon your university degree in communications, journalism, public relations or another relevant discipline, and considerable experience in managing, mentoring, coaching and developing employees. A post-graduate degree and/or accreditation/certification (APR or SCMP) would be an asset. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the Employer will also be considered.
If you’re looking for a run-of-the-mill communications role, this isn’t it. But if you’re an exceptionally capable and experienced leader who can uphold the highest levels of integrity while implementing innovation that actually sticks, then this could be your opportunity to be part of one of the most well-respected, purpose-driven public sector organizations in the country.
Your extensive experience in a communications and public affairs environment, preferably in the public sector working with diverse communities and audiences, with specific experience in strategic communications planning, event management, issues management, digital strategy, marketing, public affairs and stakeholder relations, will have prepared you well to become our new Director, Brand and External Communications. This senior role is also a great opportunity to call upon your university degree in communications, journalism, public relations or another relevant discipline, and considerable experience in managing, mentoring, coaching and developing employees. A post-graduate degree and/or accreditation/certification (APR or SCMP) would be an asset. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the Employer will also be considered.
The following competencies, knowledge, skills and abilities will also support your success in ensuring external communications stay on brand:
- Core Competencies
- Personal Effectiveness
- Results Oriented
- Service Oriented
- Leadership Competencies
- Alignment & Results
- Team Development
- Relationship Building/Management
- Extensive knowledge of the philosophies, principles and practices of communications planning and program implementation, issues management, public affairs and digital strategy.
- Extensive experience in issues/crisis management, with a history of successfully handling highly sensitive and complex situations.
- In-depth knowledge of the affordable housing sector and understanding of the Commission's organization, programs and services, plus related legislation and policies.
- Considerable knowledge of current social media and current web design techniques and approaches.
- Strong strategic and analytical thinking, problem-solving, project management, organizational, consultative, facilitation, consensus-building and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong creative outlook, with the ability to develop innovative ideas and solutions.
- Effective leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to promote and create a profile for an organization and key leaders.
- Ability to lead the development and implementation of plans, strategies and programs in a deadline-oriented, high-profile and demanding environment.
- Ability to establish a high level of rapport with the CEO, the Executive, senior management, the Minister’s Office and other partners and stakeholders.
- Ability to utilize judgment and sensitivity in presenting issues, and provide leadership and direction in determining appropriate courses of action.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively and creatively, both orally and in writing, within tight time frames.
- Ability to lead, coach and motivate staff in a team environment.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and/or weekends, with occasional travel within the province.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of current trends and best practices in communications relevant to complex organizations.
To view the Job Description and to apply for the role of Director, Brand and External Communications, visit https://www.bchousing.org/careers/current-opportunities. When applying, please submit a cover letter and your application as a single Word or pdf file. Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted.
- BC Housing—one of BC's Top Employers for 2019 and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for 2019—is the provincial Crown agency that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Have Questions? Please see below for some useful information.
- E-Recruit FAQ’s