Reporting to: Senior Associate Director of Advancement
Starting date: ASAP
Applications closing date: April 5, 2018
St. George’s School has an opportunity for an energetic and strategic Head of Communications.
The Head of Communications is responsible for the overall delivery of marketing and communications services to the School’s various constituents, as well as, the execution of a comprehensive communications, marketing, and public relations program which will maintain and enhance the School’s image and position within the marketplace. The direction of the School’s public relations program will be determined by the Leadership Team. St. George's School has 1150 students in both Junior and Senior Schools, as well as almost 250 staff and faculty.
This individual embodies the following core competencies: empathy, integrity, humility, respect, responsibility, and resilience. The Head of Communications must also demonstrate high EQ skills, will be heavily involved in the overall life of the School, and will be required to build strong relationships with all constituents in the School.
Responsibilities will include:
- Develops, implements, and coordinates at the tactical levels, all of the School’s print, digital, and interactive marketing strategies, communications, and public relations activities - managing projects from inception to delivery.
- Advises and supports the marketing, communications, and public and media relations strategies for the Headmaster’s Office, and the Advancement and Admissions Departments.
- Writes, researches, develops, and edits original copy, content, and articles for the School’s key publications including The Saint magazine and Annual Report.
- Creates and develops other written materials for the School’s internal and external stakeholders, including newsletters, fundraising proposals, media releases, speeches, in-house correspondence, and technical documentation.
- Responsible for ensuring that content for the School’s website, print materials, and social media networks is relevant, timely, and creative.
- Maintains competency and gives support to website content management systems and web analytics tools.
- Supports the Advancement and Admissions Departments in their local, national, and international fundraising and marketing initiatives as required.
- Ensures the appropriate division and execution of all work in the Communications Department, in collaboration with the other members of this team.
- Liaises and coordinates with other departments and stakeholder groups, including the Parents Association to ensure consistency, timing, and relevancy of their messaging. Provides guidance on strategies to optimize messaging efficiency.
- Maintains the School’s brand.
- Reviews the editorial direction, design, and production of all non-student based school publications, and provides strategy for their distribution.
- Coordinates media interest in the School and maintains regular contact with target media, school associations, and corresponding school directories.
- Manages all print and electronic materials which use the School’s logos and graphic design, and monitor their adherence to the School’s graphic standards.
- Supports all departments with respect to graphic use and branding, including Athletics, the School Store, Georgians, and the SGPA.
- Assists all departments with their communications and positioning their message within the greater school community and, where appropriate, the community at large.
- Stays informed of developments in the fields of marketing, communications, and public relations and seeks out appropriate accreditation and certification, both personally and for the School as a whole.
Qualifications will include:
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications, and public relations activities.
- An outstanding creative writer and editor with experience of research, storytelling, editing, proofing, and executing the production of print and digital materials, and publications within established timelines/deadlines.
- 3-5 years’ experience of strategic planning and leadership, internal organizational communications experience along with website content management systems and skills in web/social media analytics (Google Analytics & other methods).
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects.
- Ability to execute the overall communications objectives embodied in the School’s Strategic Plan and the Advancement Department’s Capital Campaign Plan.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of current communications trends and innovative technologies to ensure the School is at the leading edge when it comes to connecting with its key audiences, especially relating to fundraising campaigns and parent engagement.
- Experience with training and developing a small team of direct reports in the communications area.
- A thorough understanding of the English language and willingness to adapt and change writing style.
- Computer literacy in word processing, database management, page layout, and web production software and demonstrated skills working with Google Apps, Adobe Creative Suite, Content Management Systems (e.g. Blackbaud, Finalsite and WordPress).
- Ability and willingness to learn new systems and create workflows within content management systems and Google Apps.
- Experience with photography and videography and video editing/graphics.
- An innovative thinker, ability to use initiative, and outstanding inter-personal skills.
- Superior EQ skills in self-awareness, self-management, social agility, empathy, impact and influence, mastery of purpose and vision as it relates to the Advancement Department and the strategic direction of the School.
- Experience of working with volunteers and parents associations will be considered of value.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to:
Karen Potter-Auger at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: April 5, 2018