Position Title: Manager, Communications
Posting Number: 01348SA
Location: Anvil Office Tower, New Westminster
Grade or Pay Level: A - Pay Band 11
Position Type: Administration - Regular
Posting Type: Internal/External
Employment Type: Full-Time
Posting Category: Administration
Start Date: 02/01/2022
Day of the Week: Mondays to Fridays
Work Arrangements: This regular, full-time position is available starting February 1, 2022. Regular hours of work are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Travel between Douglas College’s campuses will be required.
What Douglas Offers: DO what you love. Be good at it. That’s how Douglas College defines a great career. It’s a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC’s Top Employers. We love what we do. And we’re looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada’s best colleges even better.
The Role: The Manager, Communications is responsible for implementing internal and external communications strategies and activities at the College, including researching, planning, managing, monitoring and measuring the impact of communications and other related functions. The Manager works closely with, and reports to the Director, Marketing and Communications.
Under the general direction of the Director, Marketing and Communications, the Manager, Communications is accountable for the following:
- Managing, mentoring, evaluating and overseeing employees within the Marketing and Communications Office for positions reporting to the Manager, Communications;
- Developing and implementing internal communications strategies for the College;
- Ongoing management of the college-wide SharePoint intranet. social media accounts and digital display screens;
- Conducting ongoing scans of College communications touch-points with students and the community, and auditing their effectiveness;
- Working with the Manager, Marketing & Operations and other College partners, develop communications for prospective students and applicants;
- Leading the Marketing and Communications Office in the use of a college-wide customer relationship management system;
- Implementing external communications strategies for the College;
- Overseeing, monitoring and evaluating daily communications activities;
- Assisting administrators and faculty on key messages and talking points;
- Acting as a resource for crisis communications and issues management;
- Under the direction of Director, Marketing and Communications, drafting speeches, briefing notes, plans, web pages, social media posts and other forms of communication;
- Attending networking or other business-development functions on behalf of the College;
- Participating in relevant professional organizations and keeping current on relevant emerging opportunities;
- Under the direction of the Director, Marketing and Communications, representing the College and College interests before various organizations and groups;
- At the request of the Director, Marketing and Communications, informing the Senior Management Team or College Board on matters relating to communications;
- Exercising signing authority on behalf of the Department for expenditures as assigned;
- Sitting on assigned committees as required;
- Acting on behalf of the Director, Marketing and Communications in their absence as requested; and
- Performing other related duties as required.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
- Established professional credibility as evidenced by a degree from an accredited post-secondary institution in a related area of study, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Minimum of five years of experience at a management level in communications;
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with communications strategies, practices, and techniques;
- Proven record of leading a team of professional communicators;
- Excellent organizational, analytical and leadership skills;
- Excellent written, presentation and oral communication skills; and
- Demonstrated ability to model appropriate professional, ethical and collaborative behaviours consistent with the responsibilities of this position.
Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online. Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling this position. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying. All candidates selected for interview will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/8553