Position Type: Temporary, Full-time (until October 2023)
Location: BCCOHP Offices (Vancouver/Victoria) - Remote
Application Deadline: January 27, 2022
Who We Are
The BC College of Oral Health Professionals (BCCOHP) is the regulatory body for all oral health professionals in BC. BCCOHP’s role is to protect the public and promote better health outcomes for patients. BCCOHP regulates 16,000 oral health professionals including certified dental assistants, dental therapists, dental hygienists, dental technicians, denturists and dentists. We protect the public in three main ways:
- Ensuring that oral health professionals are able to practise competently
- Setting standards for the delivery of safe and patient-centred oral health care
- Investigating complaints about oral health professionals
BCCOHP provides a working environment that is welcoming, respectful, and rewarding. We offer opportunities for personal and professional growth and encourage reasonable work-life balance with flexible work arrangements including hybrid work options, and flexible start and end times.
About the Role
BCCOHP is seeking a temporary, full-time Manager, Communications to join our Strategic Engagement & Communication team.
The Manager, Communications is a member of the team that develops and implements the communications strategies that strengthen the organization’s impact in protecting the public and improving oral health outcomes for patients and the public. This role contributes to the platforms, activities and content that build understanding of the regulator's role, enhance the experience of all who interact with BCCHOP, and support the organization to achieve its strategic and operational goals.
The successful candidate will oversee the day-to-day operations of the communications function in support of BCCOHP’s mandate and strategic and operational plans, and is an internal resource for strategic communications counsel. This role is responsible for planning and delivery of communications plans and programs that support BCCOHP’s regulatory performance, and for developing communications solutions to address organizational needs.
This role will also provide communications leadership for public health initiatives that require regulatory involvement. This position will report to the Executive Director, Strategic Engagement & Communication as one of 5 members of the Strategic Engagement & Communication team.
- Provide communication expertise on key strategic and operational initiatives, and in response to emerging and ongoing issues.
- Consult with the Registrar/CEO and the leadership team on issues of strategic communications and make recommendations on effective communications management.
- Plan, develop, implement, and measure communications activities in support of the organization’s engagement and communications strategy.
- Oversee communications activities related to internal and external communications and engagement.
- Develop the content, timing and choice of communications medium for organizational statements to registrants, stakeholders, government and ensure that audiences are informed on corporate direction, plans and priorities.
- Lead media relations activities, including media training for BCCOHP representatives and development of responses to media inquiries.
- Provide issues management and crisis support.
- Analyze, escalate and provide advice on reputational risks.
- Contribute to internal and external research programs.
- Oversee the scheduling, content development and production of electronic and print communication tools (e.g., newsletters, announcements, website).
- Write and edit organizational communications materials, including speeches, briefing notes, reports, announcements, regulatory notices, presentations, and digital content.
- Oversee BCCOHP’s social media strategy and platforms.
- Oversee responses to communications mailbox and assist the professional practice staff to develop responses to complex or sensitive inquiries.
- Oversee the planning, promotion, and content for BCCOHP events, including the annual meeting, and external speaking opportunities featuring BCCOHP speakers.
- Oversee BCCOHP’s website and social media accounts as strategic communications channels for communicating to all stakeholder audiences.
- Support organizational partnerships by representing BCCOHP as required, including BC Public Advisory Network.
- Develop and maintain the annual communications budget and provide project management for specific communications projects including cost-benefit analyses, budget tracking and evaluation.
- Contribute to BCCOHP policy or board committees as required.
- Maintain and uphold branding and style guidelines.
- Provide coverage for other members of the communications team, as needed.
- Implement BCCOHP’s overall engagement and communications strategy and policy, and develop tactical communications plans to support it.
- Assess and manage the communication needs of internal and external stakeholders – including patients/public, registrants, Ministry of Health, staff, dental regulatory authorities and other health regulators in BC – to promote accurate, timely and credible communications.
- Other related duties as required.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Senior level communications expertise with a proven track record of successful communications counsel and insight.
- University degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field.
- Demonstrated ability to direct communications activities through development and execution of communications programs including design, production, budgeting, and evaluation.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing demands and meet deadlines.
- Expertise in issues management, media relations, and crisis communications.
- Knowledge of developing and monitoring budgets.
- Familiarity with professional regulation, healthcare administration, government or another complex non-profit environment would be an asset.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, and demonstrated ability to write in plain language and with a high degree of accuracy.
- Willingness to take initiative and develop solutions to challenges and problems.
- Ability to build trusted relationships with all internal and external partners, including staff, vendors, and organizational representatives, and government.
- Ability to motivate others and provide constructive feedback with candor and diplomacy.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, both independently and as part of a team.
Salary and Benefits
BCCOHP offers a compensation package that includes a competitive salary, extended health and dental care, and professional development allowance, and personal days for employees to use to allow themselves to look after their health and well-being and attend to their personal schedules.
Health and Safety
Our offices are located on the west side of Vancouver, in downtown Vancouver, and in Victoria. Due to the pandemic, our offices are temporarily closed to the public and most of our team are currently working remotely. We are conducting interviews virtually at this time.
We will continue to evolve and adjust our policies.
How to Apply
If you are interested in joining our team, we invite you to email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Manager, Communications” as the subject line of your email. Applications will be accepted until January 27, 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, no recruiters, please.
For more information about this and other roles, please visit https://oralhealthbc.ca/about/careers/.