You are a curious, upbeat and results driven communications professional with experience leading teams and change in fast-paced, diverse and growing organizations. You are a compelling communicator looking for an opportunity to grow your leadership skills and bring your experience to help tell Seaspan’s stories in an effective, impactful and consistent way to external audiences.
With the support of the Director of Communications, you will lead the team developing content for all Seaspan’s external channels. This will include developing a multi-year strategic plan, advising senior leaders and working with a variety of collaborators across the marine transportation, shared services and shipyards teams to deliver communications products to meet company priorities.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Supervise the company’s external editorial content including the production of content for Seaspan’s owned channels including website and social media.
- Lead media relations program across Seaspan including improving relationships with news media, overseeing announcements and development of related materials.
- Lead on key external events including announcements, tours and Seaspan’s presence at corporate events.
- Ensure consistency of brand in all outward-facing materials and communications.
- Lead a complementary team of communications, marketing, design and creative professionals and agencies.
- Message and map out proactive content strategies, and build, develop and launch communications campaigns.
- Stay in tune with Seaspan programs, identifying media, photo/video opportunities.
- Develop and ensure content is aligned to the calendar of external messaging opportunities, including industry events and key program landmarks.
- Handle presence at and collateral for key industry trade shows.
- Manages vendor relationships specific to the corporate communications function (printers, creative agencies etc.)
- Has accountability for the company’s website
- Develop and implement integrated internal/external communications plans associated with Seaspan’s activities and priorities.
- Work as part of the Communications team to communicate business strategies and provide consistent and compelling content across all platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, or related field.
- 10+ years of strategic communications, marketing or public relations experience. Crisis communications experience a plus.
- Extensive experience writing, editing, information gathering and researching in a business environment to craft compelling and strategically relevant content that stands out from the crowd, connects and resonates with all audiences – known and new – and brings the company’s customers to life.
- Proven relationship building with the C-Suite and business leaders supporting and developing content for executive communications needs.
- Established strength in media relations and crafting, developing and launching communications campaigns.
- Track record for getting things done, finding solutions to sophisticated challenges and turning ideas into measurable plans.
Skills, Knowledge and Competencies
- Dedicated writer with meticulous editing skills and an outstanding command of the English language.
- Have a journalist’s “nose” for a story and are highly creative, with a strong design sensibility.
- Curious and think like an educator, intuitively understanding what the audience needs to know and how they want to consume it.
- Strategic problem solver, able to clearly articulate the business goal behind the creation of a piece, or series, of content.
- Understand the power of story to build a brand personality.
- Highly effective and self-motivated collaborator, a strong teammate with phenomenal communication skills, able to build consensus across and influencing a variety of internal business units and levels of leadership.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Seek opportunity to take initiative and get things done.
- Possess strong project management and organizational skills to meet multiple initiatives on time and on budget.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.