Date Posted: February 9, 2018
Position Title: Manager, Marketing & Communications (Fund Development)
Location: Joyce Street YMCA, Vancouver BC
Terms: Permanent, 0.5 Part time (17.5 hours per week) OR 1.0 Full time (35 hours per week)
Salary: $21,750-$28,000 (0.5 FTE) OR $43,500-$56,000 (1.0 FTE) per year
Start Date: ASAP
Reports to: Director, Marketing & Communications
- Are you an energetic marketing and communications professional who wants to build a healthier community?
- Are you passionate about fundraising and its ability to transform lives through charitable, life-enhancing programs?
- Are you a self-starter that is driven to create marketing and communications strategies and successfully execute them?
The YMCA is dedicated to strengthening the foundations of community by helping children and families thrive, promoting healthy living and fostering belonging and connection. As the Lower Mainland's largest operational charity, we are a team of 4,000 staff and volunteers providing vital community services that are having a positive impact on some of the community's most pressing social issues. Central to our success are:
- The peoplewho unite behind our mission to help people reach their potential
- The safe and welcoming placeswe provide—from health and fitness facilities to child care centres and camps—that foster a sense of community
- The comprehensive community programsthat provide the skills, opportunities and confidence people need to achieve their potential
These people, places, and programs come together to create a sense of belonging and a supportive network that have proven time and again to help people achieve their personal goals. For some the impact can be truly transformational and can have an enormous ripple effect on those around them.
We’ve been a part of the Lower Mainland for more than 130 years––a place where people of every age and background find the support they need to reach their potential. Serving 120,000 people annually, the YMCA of Greater Vancouver provides programs and services in health and fitness, aquatics, child care, camp, employment, education and training, child and family development, immigrant services, global initiatives, youth leadership development and health management. In all things, we align our activities with our values:
- Do the right thing - We are caring, respectful, honest and responsible in all we do
- Put people first - We believe in the strengths, perspectives and passion of people
- Keep our promises -We do what we say we will do
- Lead by example -We are courageous, speak with conviction, listen attentively and collaborate
Nature & Scope:
The Marketing & Communications Manager supporting the Fund Development team is an energetic, innovative and collaborative individual who is passionate about developing and executing a wide range of marketing and communications strategies in support of the organization’s fundraising goals. The successful candidate will work as a member of the centralized Marketing & Communications team as well as the Fund Development team and other internal stakeholders. As a charity, the YMCA is able to offer life-enhancing programs to people in the Lower Mainland regardless of their ability to pay. Through the support of donations from like-minded individuals, corporations and foundations, the YMCA plays a key role in ensuring that all people have the opportunity to reach their potential. The successful candidate for this role will create and execute marketing and communications strategies that support the following fundraising portfolios:
- Annual Campaign: The Annual Campaign raises money each year which goes directly to providing direct financial assistance to people who otherwise would not be able to access YMCA programs.
- Major Gifts: Each year, the YMCA identifies targeted initiatives which require funds to be raised so that the program can be offered. Often these programs are much-needed in the community, but are not financially sustainable without the help of targeted fundraising.
- The YMCA of Greater Vancouver Foundation: The YMCA of Greater Vancouver Foundation is a separate registered charity that supports the programs and initiatives of the YMCA of Greater Vancouver. This support is made possible thanks to the generosity of individuals who have made a legacy gift to the YMCA and believe in the ensuring a sustainable future for YMCA programs in the Lower Mainland.
- Develops and implements targeted marketing and communications strategies to support the fundraising objectives of the YMCA’s Annual Campaign, Major Gifts strategy and the YMCA of Greater Vancouver Foundation.
- Collaborates with the Fund Development team and various operations teams to develop joint marketing and communications strategies that fulfill overall organizational fundraising initiatives and individual team departmental fundraising objectives.
- Increases awareness of the YMCA as a charity both internally and externally.
- Writes, edits and manages the production of a wide variety of digital and print materials, using design and print contractors.
- Identifies and maximizes cross-promotional opportunities within program marketing, communications and sales.
- Provides brand leadership to ensure brand behaviour, graphic standards and messaging are used consistently across fundraising activities to build the YMCA brand.
- Represents the Fund Development team’s strategic priorities to ensure integration with the overall organization’s marketing and communications plan.
- Contributes regularly to centralized internal and external marketing and communications platforms to further fundraising activities and build the YMCA brand (website, social media, e-newsletter, team news, etc.)
- A degree in marketing, communications or related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related work experience, developing and executing integrated marketing and communications strategies that produce results
- Experience with marketing and communications in support of fundraising objectives and asset
- Strong oral communication and exemplary writing skills, including copywriting, promotional writing, business writing, web, social media and editing
- Excellent prioritizing skills, with ability to adapt to changing priorities and juggle multiple demands with competing timelines
- Collaborative with a customer-focused, positive attitude and a willingness to learn new skills
- A self-starter with the ability to initiate projects and see them through to completion
- Demonstrated ability to make sound judgments and decisions, and create action plans based on information discovered
- Creative problem solver, with the ability to think outside the box
- Excellent organizational skills with great attention to detail
- Experience producing materials by working with designers and print/production vendors
- Tech savvy with strong proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Experience and skill with Adobe suites an asset
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than six (6) months preceding your start date and three professional references
Commitment to organization and values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, outcomes and values of the YMCA.
Leadership: Motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes.
Communication: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner.
Creativity and innovation: Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to improve strategies, campaigns, programs and service.
Teamwork: The ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal results.
Complete online application using the following link:
Application deadline: 6:00pm, February 28, 2018