ICBC’s Public Affairs team has an exciting opportunity for a Media Relations Advisor with a focus on helping to lead the development of ICBC’s corporate media relations strategy and act as a spokesperson. The advisor may also help develop communication plans for high-profile corporate initiatives. The advisor will build and maintain ICBC’s reputation through both proactive and reactive media communications and will frequently be required to have availability outside of normal working hours.
In this role, you will:
- Work with internal clients to contribute to the development, coordination and delivery of key media messages, news releases, briefings, materials, timely responses to media enquiries, and other related communication events and activities, ensuring consistency, an integrated approach and alignment with corporate priorities.
- Develop and maintain ongoing communication and relationships with key media reporters, editors, publishers and others, to enable effective media relations activities.
- Engage in discussions with the government communications team on topics of the day.
- Liaise with other units in the department, ensuring a common understanding of current issues, activities and key messages; and participate in media initiatives that support the other units.
- Monitor media to stay informed of issues that may attract negative attention and identify opportunities to create positive media coverage.
- Identify and escalate issues that require immediate attention.
- Educate and prepare employees for interactions with media.
- You have a background in media relations strategy, experience acting as a spokesperson, and corporate communications planning in a large multi-stakeholder organization or an equivalent combination of experience and education (preferably an undergraduate degree in a related field).
- Experience working for a Crown corporation is an asset.
- You have experience doing work that requires the understanding of complex concepts and procedures.
- You are a team player with excellent organizational skills, strong writing and interpersonal communication skills.
- You are willing to work as hard as the job demands and put in the hours required to ensure your projects are a success.
What we offer:
- Competitive Salary & Benefits: We are committed to providing industry competitive salary and benefits.
- Continuous Training: We offer continuous in-house training to ensure you are equipped with the knowledge to be successful in your role.
- Flexible Working Arrangements: We offer flexible working arrangements as we continue to support our employees in balancing their career and family commitments.
- COVID-19 safety protocols: We comply with WorkSafeBC and the health authorities of British Columbia to ensure your safety and wellbeing.
- Engaging Culture: We promote an inclusive and diverse work environment.
We look forward to discussing what options we can provide for your unique needs.