BE PART OF THE TEAM THAT BRINGS THE WORLD TOGETHER.
Career Opportunity: Senior communications advisor – projects (term for a period up to 2 years)
The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is responsible for the stewardship of Canada’s largest port, and our vision is to the world’s most sustainable port. Want to work in a fast-paced environment using your skills to collaborate with dedicated people and benefit all Canadians? Join our team and connect your world to us.
The senior communications advisor - projects is responsible for the research, analysis, development, implementation and evaluation of strategic communication and media relations plans and is an active participant in the development and implementation of community, government and regulatory outreach plans, all in support of Vancouver Fraser Port Authority’s (VFPA) project development objectives. This position provides strategic advice and oversight for proactive and reactive issues management approaches, including media strategy, communications and community outreach. This position is also responsible for leading consultation efforts as required by the project. This requires identification and monitoring of issues that may impact corporate initiatives, as well as other duties as assigned.
This role will:
- Develop and implement communication strategies for projects
- Provide strategic communication and issues management advice as it relates to projects, developing and implementing plans and tactics where required.
- Translate complex concepts and materials into clear, concise and accurate briefing documents for a variety of audiences
- Support the implementation of government, community and regulator engagement activities and initiatives.
- Work with project teams and VFPA staff to ensure communications activities related to projects are aligned with other departmental and organizational objectives and initiatives.
- Track emerging issues related to projects, from communities, governments, media and regulators.
- Lead communications and stakeholder engagement activities, including participating/facilitating at stakeholder meetings and open houses, on VFPA-led development projects.
- Develop and implement strategies, plans and tactics in relation to communications and community engagement issues for port infrastructure and development projects as required.
- Participate on and/or lead cross-functional teams.
- Incorporate aboriginal, local government and community engagement initiatives into project communications as required.
- Implement media relations activities and recommend proactive media strategies including pitching news stories to the media, building strategic relationships with reporters to profile specific initiatives, and identifying opportunities for appropriate media coverage.
- Coordinate and develop presentation materials and related background information, and other general assignments as required.
- Perform other assigned duties as required
The successful candidate will have a university degree majoring in communications, political science or another acceptable degree along with a minimum of four years of experience in strategic communications in a corporate communications environment, including a minimum of two years of direct media relations experience or two years of experience developing and implementing public engagement and consultation strategies. Must have experience in strategic communications in support of complex infrastructure projects. Must have demonstrable experience and competency in best practice communication planning. Excellent writing and editing skills, with knowledge of Canadian Press standards.
This position is ideal for a self-motivated individual with excellent interpersonal skills, including maturity, sound judgment, tact, diplomacy and the ability to liaise confidently, effectively and positively with staff and stakeholders at all levels. This person will have an excellent command of the English language, both oral and written; command of the French language would be an asset. Must be a team player and have the ability to analyze situations and link information from numerous sources. Good organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities is required. Ability to work under pressure on short deadlines.
Normal office conditions with some evening, weekend and off-site work. Flexibility to occasionally respond to issues during non-working hours.
The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority offers a competitive total compensation package including an earned time off program.
If we have accurately captured your profile above, please apply on-line by visiting http://www.portvancouver.com/careers/ by February 7, 2020.
(Please note this posting will remain open until filled.)
Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is dedicated to employment equity and a workplace reflective of the diversity of our community.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.