Main Purpose & Function
As a member of the Civic Engagement and Communications team, the Senior Communications Specialist works on a variety of strategic communications projects in support of the Real Estate and Facilities Management division at the City. This position is responsible for helping to educate the public and key stakeholders about major construction projects, along with the City’s responsibilities as land owner and landlord. The position has a strong strategic focus including developing communications strategies that support successful business outcomes, and creating or supervising the creation of various communications tools to inform the public about key initiatives, their expected impacts and the opportunities for public involvement. On a day-to-day basis, the position advises departmental managers/leaders, senior staff and other City staff on communications matters.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The Senior Communications Specialist reports to the Associate Director, Corporate Communications. Its primary working relationships include: departmental and senior staff within the Real Estate and Facilities Management division; key support staff in Civic Engagement and Communications and Digital Services at the City; other government and stakeholder agencies; community groups and members of the media. It serves as a key information sharing conduit between City departments, members of the public, the media and the CEC department on matters related to REFM.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops and implements multi-channel communications plans to support key REFM one-time and multi-year initiatives
- Oversees development of a wide variety of publicity and informational materials including news releases, newsletters, notices, pamphlets and brochures, speeches, video, displays, social media campaigns and other digital content, advertising, etc.
- Tracks the communications budgets for assigned projects
- Serves as the primary liaison to the media, coordinates media responses and spokespeople as appropriate
- Leads issues management for projects
- Directs the development and maintenance of web pages related to REFM initiatives
- Liaises with related agencies and suppliers/contractors to ensure effective and timely coordination ofinformation to the public
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or a related discipline and at least five to seven years of experience in a communications position, or an equivalent combination of training, education and experience
- Considerable experience implementing communications plans on complex and/or controversial topics
- Experience working with and communicating to diverse community groups
- Considerable experience serving as a media spokesperson or supporting other spokespeople on complexor sensitive issues
- Experience developing and making presentations to large groups
- Prior experience supporting public engagement or consultation on public initiatives or issues would be an asset
- Knowledge of or experience with the commercial real estate market and/or issues related to public landownership would also be an asset
Please note this is a temporary role to May 2023.
To view more about the qualifications and experience required for this position, and to apply, visit our careers page.
Application close: September 19, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.