West Fraser is a leading diversified forest products company, listed on the TSX and NYSE. Recognized for the eighth time as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, we are a growing company looking for talented people to be part of our team. Our corporate team in Vancouver, BC has an opportunity for a:
Writer & Digital Content Specialist
Can you capture the real story, create interesting content and deliver communications, from print to digital, connecting any audience to compelling stories, news and community connection? As our Writer & Digital Content Specialist, you will support the West Fraser Communications Team in the end-to-end delivery, from strategy to implementation, of West Fraser’s external and internal communications.
This role will help to deliver news stories and content from West Fraser’s divisions and content that aligns with the company’s strategic initiatives and issues. Supporting internal and external communications functions, this role implements the firm’s print, web, intranet and social media strategy and execution. The ideal candidate is a strong writer, creative, and well-versed in the online landscape and is passionate about producing amazing work. You will be responsible for effective and impactful engagement through the creation and coordination of compelling newsletters, materials and content.
Strategy & Planning
- Manage and proactively source and market content from multiple business sources developing communications for online, intranet and print
- In collaboration with the other members of West Fraser’s Communications Team, develop the company content strategy, content calendar development and overall execution plan and editorial calendar for content across online and “offline” channels, primarily the company’s social media channels, westfraser.com the Chip Chatter newsletter and the Treeline intranet
- Collaborate on our public relations strategy, including support with media relations, issues management, internal communications, community and business events
- Handle day-to-day responsibility of managing the maintenance for the company website, intranet and social media accounts, including sourcing of news items, development and distribution of content, channel engagement, growth and oversight
- Write, edit and produce a digital internal newsletter
- Engage in regular dialogue with company managers to gain a broader understanding of forestry and manufacturing facility activities, and to maintain an understanding of current employee communication challenges and requirements
- In partnership with Human Resources provide marketing and corporate communications support to deliver on a recruitment marketing campaign. This will include organic and boosted content for the company’s Facebook and LinkedIn sites and the corporate Indeed pages. Responsibilities include ensuring the look and feel is consistent with the West Fraser brand
- Research and write corporate communications including web copy, presentations, select correspondence, new hire announcements, company-wide memos and talking points, ensuring communication material is thorough and accurate
- Create quality content and lead meaningful engagement through all existing social media assets, blog, intranet and website updates. Develop and organize graphics, infographics, and digital assets
- Support communication activity for corporate services and practice leads/business leaders including message development, writing and editorial services, production, and distribution
- Support West Fraser Communications Team members with issues management and coordinating media or stakeholder responses
- Measure, analyze and report on the performance of online strategy and other communications initiatives
- Recommend improvements based on best practices and business objectives.
- Develop measurement plans to ensure various communication streams are meeting business objectives
- Strong critical thinking, writing, editing, and oral communication skills with proven ability to write for diverse audiences
- Copy editing consistent with the Canadian Press style guide. Also editing for tone, style and grammar
- Experience with the production requirements associated with print, digital, social, web, video and other media, and comfort in creating for those platforms
- Demonstrated experience in managing social and digital communication campaigns, and familiar with content marketing strategy
- Demonstrated proficiency in project management and the ability to complete multiple projects with tight deadlines
- A self-starter who is highly effective in working with others. You have a truly collaborative style with an ability to effectively influence others through an understanding, thoughtful and tactful communication style.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline, minimum of 5-7 years experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience in a public relations and/or corporate communications environment, preferably with experience in a strategic communications or public relations agency
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite, content management systems and social media channels, and social content management and measurement platforms are essential. Experience with SharePoint environments an asset
West Fraser believes strongly in promoting from within, and we are looking for an individual who is interested in a full-time, long-term career. The successful candidate should be interested in future growth within the company. We offer an excellent compensation package, including a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and an outstanding pension plan.
If this position sounds like the career for you, submit your cover letter and resume at www.westfraser.com/jobs click "apply now" in green at the top of the page.
For more information on West Fraser and our current opportunities, visit our website at www.westfraser.com/jobs
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.