This position is responsible for guiding the overall strategic direction of BCCIE’s communications, including the crafting of a communications strategy and leading on its implementation. The Associate Director is responsible for overseeing and implementing communications activities and media relations as well as BCCIE’s research activities; in addition, this position is also responsible for proactively managing and maintaining local, national and international contacts in the BCCIE stakeholder database. The Associate Director is a key member of the Executive Team and attends regularly scheduled meetings to discuss and advise the rest of the team on communications and public relations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
With guidance from the Executive Director and other members of the Executive Team, this position leads on a broad range of key communications strategies, activities and functions vital to the success and growth of BCCIE and to the stakeholders and sector it serves. This position functions at both strategic and tactical levels with significant interaction and close consultation with the senior executive team and other functional areas of the organization. This position also conducts and choreographs a diversity of research as required for core BCCIE activities and initiatives.
Key duties include the following:
- Create the annual BCCIE communication strategy and operational plan and other communication-related projects and ensure these complement and feed into the BCCIE Operational Plan and BCCIE Service Plan
- Work collaboratively with program managers to address their specific communications needs for key projects and activities
- Create the editorial schedules for BCCIE publications and activities such as Spotlight and Summer Conference newsletters
- Lead on regular stakeholder outreach through electronic communication channels (e.g., Spotlight) and respond to stakeholder requests as needed Maintain and streamline online information gathering processes and contact management processes for BCCIE stakeholders
- Lead the development of online content and content management, including news and events, for the BCCIE website and continue to improve website functionality
- Lead, in consultation with the Executive Team, on ensuring brand consistency, including the development and maintenance of style guides for BCCIE
- Produce or source content for news releases, reports, announcements, and other print and electronic collateral as well as for speeches and presentations as required
- Oversee all graphic design and web development work created by staff, in addition to design and development work created by outside consultants
- Manage design work and create content for BCCIE corporate reports including the BCCIE Annual Report
- Develop and provide oversight for BCCIE’s social media strategy which includes social networks and platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, WordPress and others
- Act as a primary media contact, responsible for all aspects of media relations for BCCIE including liaison with the Ministry and Government of BC communications teams as required
- Act as the communications lead for BCCIE Summer Conference which includes AV vendor selection, video, creating and producing conference program and overseeing all communications announcements, schedules and publications related to Summer Conference
- Create BCCIE presentations as required and maintain and manage an archived collection of all PowerPoint slides, presentations and speaking notes for the organization
- Manage vendor relationships for communication activities and projects as they relate to BCCIE’s communication needs
- Pursue or direct research for presentations, major initiatives, and events and into topics of a global, national or local level as required for a diversity of activities
- Other general duties as appropriate under the direction of the Director, External Relations and the Executive Director
- Number of employees reporting directly to the position: 2
- Reports to the Executive Director, with operational oversight from Director, External Relations
- Work is performed under general direction with minimal day-to-day guidance
- Day to day operational direction and HR oversight given by Director, External Relations
- Position is subject to annual performance reviews.
UNUSUAL WORKING CONDITIONS
A high level of initiative and self-directed action is required. The incumbent should expect occasional domestic travel. The incumbent should be prepared to deal with the different business and cultural styles of international students and colleagues and international clients; this requires the ability to adjust to other cultural and linguistic settings and the capacity to accommodate the unusual and the unexpected.
- Post-secondary degree in communications, marketing, public relations, graphic design, business administration or a related and applicable discipline
- Eight or more years of relevant work experience in communications, social media, or public relations
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task, identify and prioritize tasks and work in a fast-paced team environment
- Demonstrable social media marketing proficiency
- Experience with all MS products including Access, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook for contact management and business communications
- Fluency in an additional language is an asset
- Experience in cross-cultural communications either through post-secondary study, travel or direct work experience
- Experience with professional print production with offset presses (CMYK, Pantone Matching System, readying files for press)
- Experience with graphic design and web-based publishing tools (i.e. Adobe Creative Cloud, Dreamweaver, Flash, HTML, CSS, PDF)
If you are interested in this opportunity, please forward your cover letter and CV (Word or PDF format) to email@example.com by Wednesday, January 10, 2018. BCCIE will only contact those candidates who will be invited for an interview. Thank you for your interest to work with us!