BC Public Service
Government Communications and Public Engagement
Victoria or Vancouver
Communication Specialist, Multilingual Services
$56,000.16 - $79,800.12 annually
This position is a temporary opportunity until December 31st, 2021.
Although this position has onsite office based requirements, it can temporarily be performed virtually due to the current circumstances related to COVID-19.
Contribute your translation and communications expertise to this critical role
Government Communications and Public Engagement (GCPE) is a dynamic, progressive and innovative organization that supports government’s communications with British Columbians.
Reporting to the Manager, in the role of Communications Specialist, you are responsible for providing clear, accurate and timely information about COVID-19 response and recovery in French, Chinese (Traditional and Simplified) and Punjabi across government communication channels including websites, social media, marketing, and media relations. As the Communications Specialist, you are accountable for ensuring a high degree of accuracy in all translated materials. You create the government's translated website content and add new information as required, working quickly to translate, proofread and deliver content that is critical to public health and safety in the COVID-19 pandemic. Additionally, as the Communication Specialist, you translate and publish website content, social media and graphics content, news releases, marketing and other written communications about COVID-19, moderate social media channels, and provide media relations, community outreach and communications support as required.
Qualifications for this role include:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (linguistics, languages, journalism, public relations, public policy, political science, writing, or communications-related discipline) and 2 years or more related work experience* is required, OR
- Diploma in a related field (linguistics, languages, journalism, public relations, public policy, political science, writing, or communications-related discipline) and 4 years or more related work experience* is required, OR
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Related work experience* is defined as a combination of all of the following:
- Experience preparing written communications (e.g.: news releases, publications, social media, website content or equivalent products)
- Experience translating English materials into French, Chinese (Traditional or Simplified) and/or Punjabi with a high degree of accuracy
- Experience copy editing and proofreading communications materials, applying style guides and incorporating key messages
- Experience creating, managing or moderating social media content
- Experience working with a team to complete communications projects with multiple deliverables
For more information and to apply online by March 3, 2021, please go to: https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/74719