If you can find stories and tell them with compelling words and pictures, Vancouver Coastal Health’s Communications & Public Affairs team needs you.
We are looking for an enthusiastic entry level communicator with one to three years’ experience to join our department as a Communication Coordinator. You possess outstanding original writing and journalistic skills, and you know how to quickly edit copy to make it appropriate for a newsletter, website, intranet, blog, executive memo or a tweet. You also take great pictures and know how to shoot and edit short videos.
The Communications Coordinator will report up to the Manager, Corporate Communications, but on a daily basis will work closely with virtually all team members, taking direction on story ideas, editing and producing various internal and external communication materials, contributing to communication plans, helping execute internal events, applying our editorial and graphic standards to ensure consistency, creating and managing content on our website, intranet and social media channels, helping manage our media clippings, lending a hand with staff forums and special events, and proactively suggesting new ways to get the word out to clients, staff, physicians and media, about the great work happening in Vancouver Coastal Health.
Our ideal candidate is someone who thrives on continuously improving digital content and channels by monitoring trends and tracking outcomes, with an attention to detail that produces professional results. You’re also someone with a strong sense of team, willing to pitch in when your co-workers are drowning and share a laugh when the going gets tough. If this sounds like you, we may be your people!
Qualifications and Expertise:
- Completion of a university degree in a related field such as communications, journalism or marketing/advertising, plus one (1) to three (3) years’ experience in organizational communications, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills are essential, with exemplary attention to detail.
- Expertise in information architecture, content management, video editing and graphic design would be assets.
- Advanced computer skills in organizational electronic communication technology, publishing and web-based communications.
- Demonstrated expertise with content management systems, including WordPress and Microsoft SharePoint, familiarity with Hootsuite for managing social media networks, and working knowledge of graphic design and photo/video editing tools, including Adobe Creative Suite and Final Cut Pro.
- Skillfully prepares written communications content and materials utilizing knowledge of applicable computer applications.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals and teams in a wide variety of settings across the organization, applying interpersonal skills and taking a problem-solving approach.
- Knowledge of technical issues relating to printing and production of materials.
- Ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive issues with skill, tact and diplomacy and to act with a high degree of ethical and professional behaviour.
- Good organizational, project management and time management skills including the ability to work well under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- A results oriented and enthusiastic team player who thrives on new challenges.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.