The award-winning Vancouver Convention Centre is currently in search for a Communications Specialist to join our team. This exciting role will report directly to the Communications Manager. As part of the Communications team, the Communications Specialist will provide communications support to further elevate the profile and reputation of this award-winning facility, as well as its sister facility, BC Place Stadium.
As the Communications specialist, you provide support with integrated communication strategies across the organization. You are a compelling story teller and writer who can create content for various audiences and mediums. You are an analytical, detail-oriented, creative and organized individual, and collaborates well within a team setting. This position offers exposure to all aspects of corporate communications, from communications planning and event planning to media relations and community engagement.
BC Pavilion Corporation (PavCo) is a provincial Crown Corporation with a significant mandate to generate economic and community benefit for the people of British Columbia through its world-class facilities - BC Place Stadium and the Vancouver Convention Centre. Our internationally- recognized facilities host a diverse range of events, from global summit meetings, professional and amateur sports to trade and consumer shows, and cultural, film and entertainment events, generating in excess of $400 million annually of economic benefit.
PavCo is recognized as a global leader in venue development, marketing, and management. The Province’s flagship stadium, BC Place is proudly referred to as “Canada’s Home Stadium” for international sporting events. The iconic Vancouver Convention Centre is the world’s first double LEED® Platinum certified convention facility and has twice been named “World’s Best Convention Centre”.
Across all business units, PavCo’s team of approximately 800 staff collaborate with a diverse range of local and international partners, official suppliers with over 1,400 staff, and clientele to host an exciting year-round schedule of events. Together, we consistently deliver an outstanding level of commitment, skill, and professionalism as we host exceptional experiences for a global audience.
WHY WORK WITH US:
Located on Vancouver’s downtown waterfront with a dramatic mountain backdrop, the Vancouver Convention Centre offers one of the most beautiful settings in the world to build your career.
Our award-winning facility hosts upwards of 550 events a year, from global conventions and trade and consumer shows to meetings, banquets, and special events, welcoming hundreds of thousands of attendees from around the world. Apart from generating vital economic activity for BC, these events provide an important platform for the exchange of knowledge and information across industry sectors. The Convention Centre is an enviable position, consistently attracting globally sought-after events that bring industry leaders from around the world working in medicine, education, arts, intellectual science, and many other influential fields.
Apart from the distinction of ‘Best Convention Centre and Best Convention Centre Service in North America’ by Watkins Research Group, we are proud to be the world’s first double LEED® Platinum certified convention centre. Our commitment to global leadership in environmental sustainability does not stop at our building; we follow sustainable practices daily from our ‘scratch’ kitchen that provides healthy food offerings to our staff and guests using fresh, local and seasonal ingredients, to our extensive facility-wide recycling program.
At the Convention Centre, you will join an extraordinary team recognized for a commitment to delivering unparalleled, seamless service to our guests and leadership in all aspects of our business. Our leaders are passionate about the growth of others, investing the time to coach, teach and advise every day. Leaders look for talent and find opportunities for that talent to flourish and shine.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
- Write and produce content for a diverse range of purposes, including media releases, blog posts, reports, internal communications, employee intranet and marketing collateral
- Support proactive media relations initiatives, including media familiarization trips as well as responses to requests from the media
- Work across internal departments and with external suppliers to coordinate projects and execute communication plans and initiatives
- Provide communications support to clients as required
- Manage media monitoring and develop archive system
- Update and maintain local and trade media lists
- Support with organizing and promoting internal and special events (including annual public Open House)
- Support issues management and engagement with community and stakeholders
- Provide on-site communications support for major events
- Provide support for production of regular corporate reports and presentations
- Assist with administrative duties as required
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE:
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in Communications or Public Relations
- 3 to 5 years of relevant experience in corporate communications and knowledge of communication practices and principles
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Experience in creating effective communications plans an asset
- Knowledge and experience with social media, including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, and platforms like Hootsuite an asset
- Understanding of media relations an asset
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Detail-oriented, organized and creative with sound judgement
- Ability to prioritize, work well under pressure and meet tight timelines
This is a unique opportunity to join an innovative team dedicated to achieving outstanding results.
The team at PavCo thanks you for your application.
Learn more by visiting our website.