BCIT Marketing and Communications is seeking a regular, full-time Media and Communications Specialist. This position is responsible for the coordination and implementation of media relations and communication strategies, and assisting with government relations and internal communications. In conjunction with the manager, develops, implements, and plans media and communication strategies that positively position BCIT to internal and external stakeholders. In addition, this position is required to assist with communications in situational events, crisis or emergency situations, and to assist in the planning, coordination and execution of various media and government activities and events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Creates awareness and support for the institute and its achievements among key stakeholder groups, including the BCIT community, government, industry, prospective students, and the broader public. Assists with communications in situational events, crisis or emergency situations, and helps coordinate media activity related to news stories, both proactive and reactive in nature.
- Identifies media stories/opportunities. Develops and drafts communication materials including news releases, blog posts, media pitches, media and government event briefs and agendas, speaking notes, holding statements, and institute key messaging.
- Develops stories and coordinates events that contribute to the institute’s strategic plan, while building relationships across the institute’s five campuses and various programs.
- Researches, writes, and edits various communications products including news releases, backgrounders, speaking notes, presentations, and other written materials as required.
- Researches, writes, and edits stories for internal and external channels – optimizing stories, tracking performance, and pro-actively tailoring content in consultation with manager.
- Monitors institute media mentions (both traditional and digital) while reporting and presenting results to various internal stakeholders. Assesses and responds to incoming media inquiries, coordinating appropriate responses and interviews when necessary.
- Proactively develops and pitches stories to media, positively and professionally representing BCIT’s vision and values.
- Coordinates media shoots, broadcasts, and interviews in a timely and organized fashion.
- Coordinates media and government-related events, under the direction of the manager.
- Participates in emergency and crisis communications training as a member of BCIT’s Emergency Operations team.
- Assists with media training for BCIT staff and faculty.
- Keeps the manager apprised of new issues and trends in this environment and within the organization.
- Undertakes related duties as assigned, consistent with the job grade of this position.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
- Being a part of BC's Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI.
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a pension plan.
- Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
- Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
- Enjoy subsidized parking and discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
- Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
- Bachelor’s degree or a two-year diploma in marketing, communications and/or journalism.
- Two years’ general experience, plus four years’ practical, current experience in a similar position in communications, media, and/or journalism.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience with online content publishing such as WordPress and Marqui.
- Experience with search engine optimization (SEO) and Google Analytics.
- Experience with traditional and social media engagement tools such as Hootsuite and Sprout.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation abilities.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships by exercising tact and diplomacy while maintaining the highest levels of professionalism and customer service.
- Must be able to work independently and as an engaged team player.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, demonstrate accountability, plan and manage multiple projects, and effectively handle changing priorities.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and decision-making skills.
- A keen aptitude for news, trends, and current events.
- Proven experience in writing engaging, plain-language content for web, speaking notes, and briefs.
*Please note: These are the minimum required qualifications. This position is a dayshift position as defined in Article 14.1 of the Collective Agreement.
START DATE: September 17, 2018
SALARY RANGE: Pay Grade 9; $53,656 with yearly increments to $58,291 per annum.
COMPETITION NUMBER: 18B275
OPENING DATE: August 11, 2018
CLOSING DATE: August 31, 2018
BCIT offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and promotes an inclusive workplace. BCIT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only successful candidates will be required to have transcripts submitted directly to BCIT’s Human Resources Department directly from granting institution at the time of reference checks. If applicable, successful candidates will be responsible for the completion of international credential evaluations. All appointments will be conditional until receipt of verified credentials.
To apply, visit us at careers.bcit.ca
We are only able to accept applications that are submitted on the BCIT Careers website.