The Association of BC Forest Professionals (ABCFP) is seeking a candidate for a permanent full time position as a Senior Online Communication Specialist.
The ABCFP is a strong and stable organization with an operating budget of $3.1 million and 17 permanent staff. The association exists to regulate the practice of professional forestry in BC. Founded through legislation in 1947, the association is governed by a 12-person council comprised of both lay councillors from the public and councillors drawn from a province-wide membership of over 5,500 Registered Professional Foresters (RPF) and Registered Forest Technologists (RFT).
The Senior Online Communication Specialist is a member of a three-person communication department and reports directly to the Director of Communications. The Senior Online Communication Specialist frequently partners with staff from across the association to create relevant online content for ABCFP registrants and the public.
The senior online communication specialist is responsible for helping formulate and deliver the association’s online communication efforts. Primary responsibilities include managing and updating the association’s online properties, including websites, e-newsletter, social media, and data-base management.
1. Manage, write content for, and update ABCFP websites.
2. Oversee creation and distribution of The Increment, ABCFP bi-weekly e-newsletter.
3. Assist in producing an annual forestry conference.
4. Administer online voting for Council elections.
5. Respond to registrant requests for assistance with website access, password reset, and other online issues.
Manage and Update ABCFP Websites
• Write, update, edit, and post new content to ABCFP websites using RiSE CMS.
• Manage and update postings on ABCFP job centre.
• Manage and update professional development and event postings including setting up online event registration.
• Creating and/or editing graphics, images, banners, landing pages, and website content as needed.
• Update, edit, and post new content to BC National Forest Week website using WordPress CMS.
• Provide advice and strategy on website improvements.
Oversee Creation and Distribution of ABCFP e-newsletter (The Increment)
• Work with ABCFP staff to develop and edit content for bi-weekly e-newsletter.
• Design, layout, and distribute each e-newsletter via Higher Logic online email platform.
Administer online voting for Council elections
• Oversee the creation and distribution of online ballots for registrant voting in council elections, referendums, resolutions and surveys.
• Responding to and troubleshoot inquiries regarding registrant online account access.
• Providing graphic design assistance as needed.
• Assist in producing annual conference.
• Develop web publishing processes to ensure the use of best practices and the efficient use of the iMIS/Rise platform.
• Assist in posting content to ABCFP social media channels.
• Perform other duties as required.
• Post-secondary training in website management or design, preferably combined with a degree or diploma in communications or public relations.
• Three to five years’ experience in managing and updating websites, intranets, and other digital properties.
• Experience using Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, or Adobe Creative Suite.
• Experience with SEO and web writing to support SEO.
• Experience using Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Instagram as marketing tools.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
• One to two years’ experience with e-mail/marketing automation software.
• Experience in using web analytics to measure and improve website performance.
COMPETENCIES (SKILLS AND ABILITIES):
• Service Orientation: implies a desire to identify and serve customers/clients; it means focusing one’s efforts on discovering and meeting the needs of the customer/client.
• Teamwork and Co-operation: ability to work co-operatively within diverse teams, work groups, and across the organization to achieve group and organizational goals.
• Improving operations: willingness to use expertise and knowledge to modify current approaches, practices, or procedures in order to create a better fit with new situations or demands.
• Problem Solving/Judgement: the ability to analyze problems systematically, organize information, identify key factors, identify underlying causes and generate solutions.
• Knowledge of website content management systems such as Word Press, Drupal, Joomla, RiSE, Sharepoint, etc.
• Strong working knowledge of cross-browser/cross-platform development techniques
• Working knowledge of HTML/HTML5.
• Knowledge of data base management and SQL.
• Knowledge and understanding of the use of video conferencing software and other remote and web-based participation tools (e.g. Zoom, MS Teams etc.).
Interested persons should apply in writing with a cover letter and resume clearly outlining how the qualifications have been met.
Cover letter and resume should be sent to the attention of:
Dean Pelkey, ABCFP Communications Director
Application Deadline: Applications should be submitted no later than January 4th, 2021.
Interviews are anticipated to be held the week of January 11th, 2021.
While the ABCFP sincerely appreciates all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.