Union/Affiliation: Administrative and Professional Staff (APSA)
Pay range: $70,943 To $84,719 Annually
SFU Department Description: Communications & Marketing
Position Grade: 10
# of openings: 1
Biweekly Hours: 72
The Assistant Director (External Communications) contributes to the achievement of the university's media and public relations goals through the acquisition, analysis, and dissemination of information about Simon Fraser University. The incumbent of the position acts as a spokesperson for the University, if required. The Assistant Director participates in the development and implementation of media and other communications strategies to further the department's mission and to enhance the reputation of Simon Fraser University. The incumbent of the position develops contacts and liaises with the news media, members of the university community, and the general public. The Assistant Director conceives and develops stories, features, reports, news releases, video, audio, and media advisories for promotion to the media. The incumbent of the position also promotes SFU and its interests through Public Affairs & Media Relations print and web publications including SFU News (print and online versions), “Issues and Experts”, the “Directory of Experts”, and through social media channels such as blogs, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. The Assistant Director provides expertise and consultation in media relations, public relations, internal and external communications, web, and social media channels, to members of the university community and, on occasion, media training. As delegated by the Director, the Assistant Director develops and implements departmental strategic and tactical plans, and assists in the preparation of university-wide communications plans. The incumbent of the position also conducts or oversees the conduct of market and customer surveys for the university.
- Undergraduate degree in Communications or Journalism and six years of related experience in media and public relations, with a minimum of one year's experience in a bona fide managerial or supervisory capacity, and experience in the development and implementation of strategic and tactical plans (such as media plans, communication, PR and marketing plans), or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Excellent knowledge of the principles and practices of journalism, communications, media, and public relations.
- Excellent knowledge of web, social media, and blogging content preparation, design, and management skills.
- Excellent writing, editing, and layout skills.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, and presentation).
- Excellent interpersonal, problem solving, time management, and organizational skills.
- Ability to demonstrate creativity in the conception and development of stories, features, reports, news releases, and media advisories and to successfully promote these communications to the media.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with contacts in the media.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to use web, wireless, and content-management technologies.
- Ability to use digital photography and videography, and to perform associated editing and manipulation of materials.
- Ability to use desktop publishing, drawing, image manipulation, and database applications.
Please include your cover letter and resume in one attachment.
Please apply here.