Special Olympics BC has an immediate opening for an enthusiastic and detail-oriented Communications Coordinator. Reporting to the Communications Manager, the successful candidate will provide key support for Special Olympics BC’s communications channels including writing, content creation, design, and analytics for the website, social media, monthly e-newsletter, annual print newsletter, and additional marketing material. Creating content about our inspiring athletes, dedicated coaches and volunteers, and empowering sport programs will be a significant part of this role, so a passion for sport will be an asset.
Special Olympics BC empowers individuals with intellectual disabilities to enrich their lives through the power and joy of sport, and to create inclusive communities throughout British Columbia by opening hearts and minds to the talents of individuals with intellectual disabilities. Through transformative programming in sports, health, education, and community building, Special Olympics is tackling the inactivity, stigma, isolation, and injustice that people with intellectual disabilities face. Our work goes far beyond sports events, driving social change that enables full participation for people with ID. Join our team to make a difference!
- Writing articles and profiles for the website, newsletters, and internal and external communications.
- Creating content for SOBC’s social media accounts and providing support for analytics and researching development opportunities.
- Designing marketing material using existing SOBC guidelines and templates.
- Assisting with maintaining and reviewing the performance of the SOBC website.
- Maintaining databases of key stories, photos, and SOBC milestones.
- Supporting the execution of SOBC sport, fundraising, and awareness events.
- Assisting with other duties and functions as determined by the VP Fund Development and Communications and the Communications Manager.
We are looking for a candidate who has:
- A degree in communications and/or journalism, or related work experience in a non-profit and/or in a communications role.
- A strong and detail-oriented work ethic.
- Writing experience.
- Solid working knowledge of social media platforms and principles, and of Adobe InDesign.
- Basic comfort level with photography.
- The ability to manage competing priorities and multiple stakeholder relationships and expectations.
- The ability to work nights and weekends as required.
- A valid driver's license.
- Optional additional asset: familiarity with Drupal CMS.
Interested candidates are asked to submit their resume, cover letter, writing sample, and salary expectation to email@example.com
Due to the volume of applicants, only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.