The Office of the Vice-President Communications and Advancement manages advancement, alumni relations, campus services, government relations, community relations and communications for Royal Roads University. The communications department provides a centre for communications in five service areas: university communications, news services, media relations, internal communications and editorial services.
Under the strategic direction of the vice-president, communications & advancement and the communications director, you will report to the communications manager. As the successful candidate, you will use advanced writing and strategic communications skills to connect audiences to the vision and mission of Royal Roads University and join a collaborative team to support university-wide projects, provide communications counsel and support to faculties, administrative units and university leadership.
Key responsibilities include:
- Writing and delivering a range of communications materials from feature stories and news releases to speaking notes
- Working as a team member to manage and curate the university’s social media channels
- Identifying, cultivating and delivering on media relations opportunities
- Supporting emergency communications planning and response
- Developing and executing communications plans for high-profile university initiatives and events
- Fostering relationships to facilitate the work of the department and promoting the university
- A degree in communications or journalism and five years’ experience. A minimum of a two-year certificate in public relations, communications or journalism, with commensurate experience, may be considered.
- Advanced writing and editing skills demonstrated by your portfolio
- Demonstrated experience as a social media community manager or strategist
- Issues management skills and experience considered an asset
- Proven collaborator with advanced interpersonal communications skills and ability to deal sensitively with critical issues
- Excellent organizational, project management and time management skills
- Independent initiative, sound judgment and developed decision-making abilities
This is a temporary, full-time position working 37.5 hours per weeks for a 2 year term. The position has been evaluated at Grade 4 and the recruitment range starts at $56,906.00 per year. The university is pleased to offer a percentage of salary in lieu of vacation. The competition closes May 4, 2018.