Job Title: Publications Editor/Writer 3
Job Number: BCH-T-6849-180417E1
Job Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top
Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It's our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
- Coordinates, oversees and ensures a high standard of BC Hydro publications and on line Corporate News site content by: developing and implementing publications related policies, procedures, processes and standards in discussion with the reporting manager; overseeing the development, layout and content of intranet news pages; reviewing and ensuring publication content meets corporate and external appeal, quality, look and feel expectations; developing and revising publication/internet direction and themes; scheduling story line-ups, content development and assigning writers; creating and maintaining a network of employee correspondents; liaising and working closely with the internet department in the design, testing and management of the Corporate News site and features; checking and approving invoices for consultant and intranet development costs and invoices to assigned authority level; following up to investigate and resolve publications and internet based news site problems and issues.
- Conducts publication and intranet related Best Practice, focus group feedback and other communication tracking research; evaluates results and revises or develops new or revised and recommended communication strategies, policies, procedures, practices and methods to ensure corporate communications and quality targets and objectives are met; follows up to implement approved recommendations.
- Discusses and provides high level communications and project support services to internal clients; manages senior executive communications such as: reviewing, researching, guiding responses and/or answering employee feedback and questions to the Presidents’ page; writing memos or communications briefings and material for senior level managers in discussion with the reporting manager.
- Provides work leadership to publications, editorial, and direction to internet development staff, consultants and others; provides training to managers in face to face communications with employees and in developing their communications toolkits and personal communications skills and abilities.
- Maintains currency with current publication and internet trends and methods through networking with communication professionals.
- Performs all of the functions of the Publications Editor/Writer 2 job as required.
- Performs minor duties related to the above duties that do not affect the rating of the job.
- Supervisory skills, corporate communications, publications and related strategy, policy, procedure and standards development and implementation, communications planning, project management, inter/intranet structure/application programs/use, planning, organizing and control processes, training and presentation techniques and methods, cost control processes, research and analysis, personal computer and related application program operation are typically acquired through graduation from a university level program in Journalism or Communications plus in-house BC Hydro courses or equivalent in Supervisory Skills, Common Desktop PC Courses, web content management (Rhythmyx) internet browsers, email other related applications or equivalent.
- A minimum of 3 years of demonstrated experience in a progressively more responsible writing and publications related job such as the Publications Editor/Writer 2 job or equivalent. Well developed knowledge of PC, common desktop, internet, web content management and related application software. Well developed oral, written, presentation, facilitation, training, relationship building and interpersonal communication and teamwork skills. Demonstrated work leadership or supervisory experience is an asset.
This position is affiliated with the Movement of United Professionals union (MoveUP/COPE). http://moveuptogether.ca
- Experience using Sharepoint to upload intranet content would be an asset.
- This role is part of the Employee Communications team and focuses on planning, writing and publishing news content for internal channels such as our intranet, newsletters and digital signage throughout the province.
- This position will be based out of Dunsmuir. We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Don't forget to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and copies of your certifications. If applicable, include your Trades Qualification. This will ensure we have all the necessary information to assess your application without any delays.
Click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by April 30, 2018.