What we do
At BC Children’s Hospital Foundation, we’re on a quest to ensure every kid in the province receives the best health care imaginable. As a fundraising organization, we inspire people and communities to support BC Children’s Hospital, along with its world-class research institute, mental health facility and rehabilitation centre.
Our work makes a profound difference. From helping get the boldest research ideas off the ground to supporting the most advanced equipment, together we are pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in children’s health care. This is no small task—which is why we’re looking for passionate people to join our team and help propel our mission forward.
What you’ll do
Reporting to the Associate Director, Communications, the Communications Specialist is responsible for leading and supporting the development and execution of strategic, compelling and highly customized communications and marketing strategies to enhance donor retention, stewardship, engagement and growth. You will work closely with internal Foundation teams, philanthropy colleagues, hospital staff and the marketing and communications team as you develop and operationalize a wide range of donor communications and writing projects. This is an exciting role within a fast-paced, cross-functional organization requiring extensive experience in project management and donor-centric writing skills.
More specifically, you will:
- Manage multiple marketing and communications projects for our principal gifts, major gifts, legacy and donor relations teams in support of the Foundation’s stewardship and cultivation goals.
- Write, edit and disseminate a wide variety of donor-targeted and stakeholder communications, including, but not limited to: magazine and newsletter stories, targeted donor e-newsletters and correspondence, speaking notes, copy for donor events and marketing campaigns, key messages and briefing notes.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams including donor relations, events, strategic partnerships and others to ensure success through alignment in goals, strategy, messaging and approach.
- Effectively resource and collaborate with marketing and communications colleagues to support donor communications initiatives, including video production, writing, design and social media needs.
- Track and measure the effectiveness of donor marketing and communications initiatives and prepare wrap-up reports.
What you bring
As the ideal candidate, you are experienced and confident in working at the forefront of a rapidly evolving fundraising profession, executing against traditional approaches with excellence, while embracing innovative approaches and techniques. You strive to achieve maximum impact with minimal resources and not only execute flawlessly, but exhibit strong strategic, creative and problem-solving skills. You embody BCCHF’s values of: excellence, collaboration, accountability, integrity and innovation.
In addition, you will have:
- University degree in a related field (e.g. Communications, Marketing, Fundraising Management, Non-profit Management).
- Minimum of 5 to 7 years’ experience in communications and project management with a minimum of 2 years of direct donor communications experience within a fundraising or not-for-profit environment.
- Strong analytical skills and strategic, inquiring mind.
- Exceptional donor-centric writing skills, including highly customized, strategic and powerful communications pieces that inspire engagement and action.
- The ability to identify and research compelling story angles for publications, events and other donor/stakeholder communications.
- The ability to work collaboratively but also work independently to drive projects forward.
- Strong stakeholder management skills, including demonstrated ability to creatively problem-solve in a cross-functional environment.
- An open, curious mindset that asks thoughtful questions and actively pursues new ideas and innovation that will help meet the Foundation’s strategic goals.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with the ability to multi-task and work calmly under pressure.
- Experienced in using a variety of technologies and platforms for content development and management.
What you can expect
Due to the pandemic, most of our team is currently working remotely from home. If you are selected on this opportunity, you can expect to work from home most days but may be asked to come on-site occasionally.
We believe that anything is possible. And that permeates every action we take. As a team, we push ourselves to constantly aim higher in our work. We try new things and challenge the status quo. We respect each other and act from a place of compassion in everything we do.
While we take our work seriously, we’re also big on taking care of our team. We offer perks like a nine-day fortnight schedule and flexible hours, top-notch health and dental benefits, and a commitment to professional development.
We think it’s a pretty amazing place. Others agree—we’re proud to say that we’ve been recognized as one of BC’s Top Employers for 11 years in a row.
Seem like the right place for you? Join us and help kids shine. Apply online at by November 6, 2020 at www.bcchf.ca/careers