About the Insurance Council
The Insurance Council of British Columbia is the regulatory organization that licenses and regulates the activities of over 45,000 life and general insurance agents, general insurance salespersons, insurance adjusters, and restricted travel insurance agents in British Columbia.
We have an opportunity for a Communications Specialist to join our growing team. The Communications Specialist contributes to and participates in the delivery of the Insurance Council’s strategic plan goals and objectives as a member of the Governance and Stakeholder Engagement team. This position provides expertise and support for consultation and stakeholder engagement activities and participates in the planning and execution of communication activities as a part of the organization’s operational and strategic functions.
Why Work for the Insurance Council?
Work with a great team of people in a rewarding career that makes a difference. We’re in a downtown location with plenty of amenities nearby. The Insurance Council has a friendly and collaborative environment with a team who’s committed to protecting the public.
- We offer a comprehensive health and dental plan.
- Work-life balance.
- This position is mostly remote work enabled. The incumbent would be required to come into the office as needed.
- Professional development.
- Equitable employment opportunities.
We have established health and safety practices to limit exposure to COVID-19, including a vaccination requirement for all staff.
Who We’re Looking For
The ideal candidate will have a background in a regulatory setting or public sector setting. The incumbent must have excellent customer service and stakeholder engagement skills. Good oral and written communication skills are important, along with an ability to apply legislation and policies to differing situations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participates in stakeholder engagement program and strategy development.
- Plans and coordinates stakeholder engagement program activities.
- Works with internal clients to provide advice, planning, execution and/or support for stakeholder consultation.
- Creates and prepares communication and outreach materials to support consultation
- Works with internal clients (Insurance Council staff) to provide communications support and advice for the organization’s diverse regulatory and operational programs and activities.
- Writes, reviews and edits materials for effective communication with internal and external audiences.
- Prepares and distributes information via communications channels (email blast, website, etc.).
- Works with internal subject matter experts to create content for different platforms and media for outreach and engagement.
- Works with and reviews consultation data and provides expertise and analysis.
- Provides support to senior staff and officials for development and delivery of presentations/speaking engagements, and public and stakeholder engagement events/activities.
- Works with internal clients to ensure consistent application of the brand. This includes supporting document/content design and production in alignment with corporate standards, and contributing to the development of tools and resources.
- Participates in departmental and program goal setting, strategy discussions.
- Provides event coordination and support as needed.
- Provides support to public and media relations programs as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education, such as a university degree in communications or a related field, e.g., public relations, marketing.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in corporate communications, marketing and communications.
- Direct experience working in public/stakeholder engagement
- Requires experience planning and executing consultation initiatives
- Requires experience planning and executing communications campaigns
- Past experience working with engagement tools and methods, such as surveys (looking for experience working with consultation data to provide analysis and insights)
- iap2 or other public engagement related training is an asset