The College of Dental Surgeons of BC (CDSBC) is seeking a permanent full-time Communications Specialist to provide communications expertise in support of support CDSBC’s strategic goals and the evolving needs of the organization. The successful candidate will report to the Manager of Communications as one of five members of the communications team.
The specialist will contribute to improved outcomes for the public by producing innovative communications materials for various initiatives and will engage with internal and external stakeholders in order to build a rapport that fosters trusting and productive working relationships. A collaborative approach, adaptability and a high level of detail are key to success in this role.
The specialist may be required to attend after-hours committee meetings or events.
- Work with other members of the communications team to plan, produce and deliver CDSBC’s corporate communications materials, web- and print-based materials, speaking notes, presentations, newsletters and brochures.
- Maintain and update the website.
- Lead the planning, design, and production of the annual report.
- Manage the lineup, writing, and design of CDSBC’s print newsletter.
- Distill and synthesize complex information for communication to a range of audiences (public, registrants, board members).
- Provide communications support and recommendations for various initiatives, such as the development of practice standards and guidance documents.
- Advise and implement strategies to enhance the structure and content of the CDSBC website in order to improve user experience.
- Collaborate with internal clients by providing communications guidance and support for ongoing needs (e.g. writing public notices in accordance with CDSBC’s Publication Policy for the Complaints Department.)
- Support committee activities related to communications and engagement.
- Develop and execute special projects in consultation with suppliers, subject matter experts and the IT team (e.g. publications and online courses).
- Advise on the maintenance and expansion of CDSBC’s social media strategy.
- Conduct research on matters relevant to CDSBC’s communications objectives and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Develop messaging for various audiences in response to inquiries, and in support of initiatives and issues.
- Uphold and promote CDSBC’s brand and style guidelines.
- Support CDSBC’s media spokespeople and issues management by drafting media responses and issues notes.
- Provide coverage for other members of the communications team, as needed.
Qualifications & Skills
- Education, training, and experience equivalent to an undergraduate degree in communications, public relations or journalism, combined with five years' experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and deliver a variety of compelling communications, such as newsletters, websites, speaking notes, annual reports, events, and videos.
- Exceptional research, writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Enthusiasm for working with a team to execute strategic communications programs.
- Strong understanding of the principles of communications and graphic design.
- Ability to synthesize plain-language messaging out of complex information. Keen attention to detail is critical.
- Self-motivated with demonstrated endurance and persistence in managing multiple projects.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and effectively handle changing priorities.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion and diplomacy.
- Familiarity with website content management software and other organizational electronic communication technology.
- Familiarity with social media principles and techniques.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of products.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is an asset.
- Previous work experience in a regulatory or not-for-profit environment is an asset.
Our office is located on the west side of Vancouver. Due to the pandemic, most of our team is currently working remotely from home. If you are selected for this opportunity, you can expect to work from home most days but may be asked to come on-site occasionally.
If you are seeking a fast-paced work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and collaborative, we invite you to email your cover letter, resume and one original writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted until November 12, 2020.
We are conducting interviews virtually by video or telephone conferencing to support physical distancing, per the guidance of the Provincial Health Officer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
The College of Dental Surgeons of BC (CDSBC) is the regulatory body for dentistry in BC. CDSBC’s mandate is to protect the public by ensuring that CDAs, dental therapists and dentists are registered and qualified to practise, and that they are consistently providing safe and ethical care to their patients.
Our working environment is welcoming, respectful, innovative and rewarding. We offer a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package, a professional development allowance, and encourage work-life balance.
Our values, which demonstrate trustworthiness and promote professional excellence, include being: ethical, open and transparent; respectful and courteous; inclusive and embracing the principles of diversity, cultural safety and humility; and patient-centred and engaged with the public.