The Corporate Communications Advisor plays a critical role in building and maintaining the company’s public image, and is responsible for the development and implementation of strategic communication and proactive media relations initiatives to support FortisBC’s business units. This role develops and implements strategic communication plans, establishes and maintains media relationships, identifies public issues, creates stakeholder messaging, and acts as corporate spokesperson.
Media Relations including acting as corporate spokesperson for external media (television, radio, newspapers); establishes and maintains these relationships; responds to media enquiries; develops proactive, integrated media relations strategies.
Monitors corporate issues through media monitoring.
Development of written materials to promote desired narratives surrounding corporate reputation, business initiatives or strategic priorities. This may include web content, blog content, letters to editor, opinion editorial, trade publication articles or social media content.
Ensures there are standard key messages/talking points created for management to use for primary corporate issues when in discussion with stakeholders; provides clients and colleagues with media relations advice and counsel, media training, news release writing, media distribution processes and media monitoring/issues tracking.
Creates individual communications plans for specific corporate and departmental initiatives
Developing and implementing effective communication strategies and tactics for a variety of audiences in conjunction with communications team members, internal clients and partners.
Writes corporate speeches and presentations for senior management
Researching, writing, editing and overseeing the production of various communication materials, which may include executive presentations, corporate announcements, corporate profiles, annual reports, news releases, backgrounders, brochures, fact sheets, web pages, newsletters, and advertisements.
Researching story ideas and promotion opportunities through liaison with operations staff, and project team members.
Fostering strong relationships with internal partners in meeting their communication needs internally and externally.
Planning and managing various events and stakeholder meetings for internal and external audiences as appropriate.
Working individually and/or with other communications team members and outside consultants to develop other communication tools.
Carrying the media phone, on a rotational basis, as part of the 24/7 on-call departmental emergency response team, to respond to media enquiries in the interest of public.
- A degree with specialization in communications, public relations, journalism or a related discipline.
- Professional accreditation by IABC or CPRS is an asset.
- A minimum of 4-7 years relevant work experience, with at least four years of progressive public relations or communications experience.
- Energy industry experience is an asset.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Valid driver’s license required
- Demonstrated ability in leading strategic and proactive communications initiatives
- Demonstrated understanding of media relations and communications strategy coupled with strong network of media contacts.
- Proven experience in creating effective corporate communications plans.
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills
- Solid writing ability in creating corporate communications information, executive speeches and presentations, news releases and employee communications.
- Excellent team building skills with ability to create a positive work environment
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Adaptability and flexibility including ability to manage deadline pressure, ambiguity and change.
- Strong initiative, judgment, organizational skills and creative abilities.
To apply, visit https://www.fortisbc.com/Careers/Pages/Current-job-opportunities.aspx