Job Opportunity: Permanent Position – Manager of Communications
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
The BC Council of Forest Industries (COFI) is an industry association representing major forest tenure holders and manufacturers in British Columbia that produce wood for construction, pulp and paper and biofuels. Our members are leaders in the global forest products industry, contributing to the economy of the province and the communities in which they operate. COFI member companies are an important part of BC’s forest value chain and are committed to
sustainable forest practices and to Indigenous rights and reconciliation.
COFI advocates for the interests of its members and works with all levels of government to promote a healthy, diversified, sustainable forest industry. It works to ensure policies and regulations ensure the highest environmental standards, recognize the role of sustainable forest management and low-carbon forest products in a net zero future, and help to maintain forest sector competitiveness in the global marketplace.
For more information about COFI, please visit www.cofi.org.
COFI is seeking a highly skilled and experienced Manager of Communications to join our dynamic team based in our Vancouver office in a permanent full-time position. As the Manager of Communications, you will play a pivotal role in shaping and executing communications strategies that align with COFI’s mission and objectives. This role reports directly to the CEO and you will work closely with members of the leadership team.
1. Strategic Communications: Support development and execution of a comprehensive communications strategy that advances the forest sector in BC and engages key federal, provincial and Indigenous decision makers and stakeholders Support development and implementation of the annual COFI communications, community relations and government affairs plans.
2. Public Affairs: Implement public affairs programs for COFI Initiatives including sustainability programming, study releases, communicating the role of forestry and forest products in mitigating climate change and more.
3. Content Development: Develop communications materials that effectively tell the story of BC forestry, COFI member companies, and important topics related to forestry. This also includes the preparation of presentations, briefing notes, key messages, information sheets, communications materials for internal Board and other meetings as well as external programs, stakeholder engagement, etc.
4. Digital and Social Media: Manage COFI’s digital presence, including ongoing updates of COFI website; social media; and COFI’s suite of visual communications material.
5. Media Relations: Handle media inquiries and coordinate press releases and media campaigns.
6. Stakeholder Engagement: Cultivate and support the team in maintaining relationships with key stakeholders, including members, industry partners, employees, and community members.
7. Budget Management: Manage the communications and public affairs budget. Support the planning and implementation of COFI events such as the annual Convention,
community outreach and more; and COFI’s participation and sponsorship of events.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
Key Education and Experience
• Degree in communications, journalism, marketing, or another applicable field.
• Minimum 3 years’ experience developing and executing communications plans, ideally in the natural resource sector or a related industry.
• Experience with government relations, public policy development and stakeholder engagement is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Keen, organized and thrives in a fast-paced environment.
• Collaborative team-player; able to work well independently and as a part of a team.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills.
• General knowledge of policy, regulatory and other related issues and ability to translate these into simple and effective communications.
• Adaptability and flexibility
Anticipated Salary Range: $80,000 - $100,000
To be determined, commensurate with experience, qualifications and location.
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by November 17, 2023.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The BC Council of Forest Industries is an equal opportunity employer and provides employment opportunities in accordance with the British Columbia Human Rights Code.