About our team
We are a valued team of storytellers who are a driving force in creating the best possible experience for our patients. Our communications team is integral to our organization. You will work alongside health care providers and research leaders known around the world for treatment, innovation and care. Being a trusted leader regarding highly complex issues and projects will keep you busy.
We are looking for a team leader who will be:
- A savvy member of a large, complex organization – skilled in working in a matrix environment, collaborative in building relationships, and smart in knowing how to prioritize competing interests and requests.
- A self-starter who takes initiative and coaches others to creatively identify, advise and/or execute strategic communication opportunities, campaigns, and media and issues response, versus awaiting direction.
- A supportive team player who views your role as helping and enabling your colleagues’ success, as much as securing support for your own.
- An effective storyteller who can put our best foot forward in identifying stories and managing issues.
Reporting to the Director, Corporate Communications, you are a strategic partner working with leaders and program staff throughout PHSA as well as your communications colleagues to lead several key communications functions:
- Strategic communications planning and issues management for a number of PHSA provincial programs.
- PHSA’s website strategy: you take the lead on developing policies, standards, and best practice guidelines to support web-based properties and practice.
- Internal communication planning and evaluation, including oversight for the intranet and PHSA’s employee news. You provide leadership and counsel on a variety of internal communication initiatives that provide employees with the relevant and timely information on a variety of topics and services, leading to a culture of employee awareness, understanding and engagement.
- Manage and/or monitor corporate and internal communication plans, integrated with the PHSA Communication Strategy ensuring consistency and alignment.
- Lead the implementation of communication plans that improve awareness and understanding of PHSA initiatives and priorities, and support the objectives of the PHSA strategic plan, vision and values.
- Works closely with communications colleagues to ensure coordination and cooperation for implementing internal communication plans in agencies and services
- Oversee issues notes and proactive communications for a number of provincial PHSA programs and services.
- Develops, maintains and evaluates primary internal communication channels and corporate communications resources such as the intranet, distribution lists, staff forums and survey tools.
- Oversee corporate campaigns and key initiatives such as annual flu campaign and Privacy Week.
- Contribute to the overall communications leadership of PHSA in conjunction with other communications staff.
- Support communications priorities and initiatives for other PHSA programs and services at other work sites, as needed.
- Any other duties related to the role that may arise.
- Drives the marketing and use of the intranet as a key internal communications tool, oversees the strategic direction and architecture of the intranet and provides strategic advice to other corporate service areas
- Ensures overall quality, consistency and effectiveness of PHSA’s complex and diverse webites by ensuring quality standards are met, liaising with team members to ensure consistency in the writing, editing and production.
- Manages the PHSA website including oversight of the strategies to ensure its usefulness as a tool in achieving objectives including overall design, site analytics, quality assurance and site architecture.
- Identify and support the production of digital, video, web, intranet and social media content, with a particular emphasis on helping to promote program awareness and achievements.
- Provides leadership to staff and team members through coaching, guiding and modeling key behaviours, encouraging dialogue and providing guidance and advice to facilitate resolutions to work issues. Assists team members to define goals, meet target dates and ensure alignment of goals with customer need. Fosters team spirit, trust and mutual respect.
- Maintains an awareness of new developments and trends in communications through literature review, contact with peers at other organizations, industry advisor groups, professional associations and attendance at seminars, workshops and education programs.
Qualifications and experience
- A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to a university degree in communications, journalism or a related field supplemented by seven years of experience in a large, multi-site, unionized environment.
- Demonstrated ability to create and execute strategic communication plans, and to respond to the needs of stakeholders in sensitive situations supported by acute awareness of the impact of actions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of legislative policy development and processes of various levels of government, ability to meet tight deadlines, work under pressure, and handle highly confidential and sensitive issues with tact and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated ability to research, write and/or edit creative and compelling copy for a variety of applications, including online and print publications. Experience in multi-media storytelling, including social media and video production.
- Experience with supervising and mentoring other staff.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. For more information, visit www.phsa.ca
We invite you to apply by clicking the link below and then the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://jobs.phsa.ca
The PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.