We’re a Canadian-owned and BC-based energy company taking steps toward a lower-carbon energy future by providing renewable energy, natural gas and electricity to more than 1.2 million customers.
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we transform BC’s energy future. Our diverse team of more than 2,600 employees is committed to a safe and inclusive culture where each of us can connect, belong and grow. Join us and let’s work together for a better BC.
You’re a confident leader with a knack for seeking out innovative communications solutions to meet our evolving customer’s needs and engagement opportunities that inform and inspire. You understand the importance of driving and effectively managing multidisciplinary teams with numerous stakeholders in a complex regulated environment, and you promote collaboration to achieve the best results. We need someone with your expertise and skillset to join as our Manager, Corporate Communications.
Reporting to the Director, External Communications, the incumbent will strategize and execute external communications, issues management, media relations, crisis communications and emergency response initiatives to ensure the effective management of FortisBC’s reputation.
In this role, you will:
- Manage a team of communications experts developing corporate messaging and implementing media relations strategies.
- Identify news stories and assign writing and distribution through news channels, collaborating with the multiple business areas to develop effective storytelling.
- Provide strategic leadership in the identification and management of potential risks or issues pertaining to FortisBC’s reputation and business interests, and actively engage senior leaders and the media accordingly.
- Take responsibility for all media analysis by leveraging analytics and metrics to measure our earned media value and working closely with the Market Research team to identify emerging trends and opportunities.
- Provide direction for the effective development and execution of FortisBC crisis communications plan, serving as a critical point of contact.
- Be curious to continuously learn and understand our evolving business and thrive on cultivating strong relationships, acting as the key contact for publicly addressing sensitive issues and public relations challenges.
- Navigate our complex operating environment and regulatory processes while executing projects and leading team members on time and on budget.
What it takes:
- A bachelor’s degree in business, political science, public relations, communications, or a related field from an accredited post-secondary institution, with a minimum of eight to ten years of recent and relevant work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and training.
- Substantial experience working in the energy industry, as well as knowledge of government relations (particularly in B.C.) is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in public, stakeholder, and government communications; media relations and issues management.
- Exceptional communications and interpersonal skills for developing high-profile communications materials and leading teams in delivering quality tactics.
- Excellent strategic thinking with proven business acumen and a detail-oriented mindset to drive complex communications that effectively optimize media channels and engage the public.
- Strong management experience to lead a high potential team in fast-paced environment.
In this role, you will have the option to participate in a flexible work program, enabling you to work from an approved flex location in British Columbia up to 85 days a year (equivalent to approximately two days a week), subject to business or operational needs.
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.