We’re a Canadian-owned and BC-based energy company taking steps toward a lower-carbon energy future by providing renewable energy, natural gas and electricity to more than 1.2 million customers.
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we transform BC’s energy future. Our diverse team of more than 2,600 employees is committed to a safe and inclusive culture where each of us can connect, belong and grow. Join us and let’s work together for a better BC.
Your passion for guiding a team to reach successful results while building and maintaining relationships make you a trusted and effective leader. With a thorough understanding of the media landscape and proven track record of managing crisis situations, your commitment to enhancing and upholding a positive reputation is unwavering. Your ability to spearhead the development of compelling messages that resonate with their intended audience, along with your attention to detail ensure consistency and accuracy in every project you drive.
In this role, reporting to the Director, External Communications, you’ll be working closely with colleagues across the business, using your 10+ years of experience to deliver trusted advice and exceptional skills to build mutually beneficial relationships to raise the profile and reputation of FortisBC with key audiences in support of business objectives. This is a high-impact role that will make a meaningful difference in how we communicate externally.
In this role, you will:
• Develop and deliver integrated external communication plans that raise FortisBC’s profile and reputation in support of business objectives
• Understand the needs and interests of industry and key stakeholders to better inform communication and engagement strategy and organizational decisions
• Collaborate and consult with marketing and communication colleagues across the business to identify areas to increase awareness of campaigns, and bring new ideas forward on how best to tell an impactful story
• Monitor and manage the impact of communications, ensure consistent service delivery, identify areas to increased value, and bring forward creative solutions
• Support the development of an issues management approach and detect and respond to emerging trends or changes in the socio-political environment.
• Contribute oversight to ensure brand alignment between FortisBC’s customer, corporate and employee communications initiatives.
In this role, you will bring:
• Strong existing relationships with media and influencers
• Strategic thinking
• Clear communication of complex issues in a simplified manner to a variety of audiences
• Succinct writing style – you know how to get to the point quickly and deliver information in a compelling way
• Attention to detail and the ability to tackle tasks big and small
• Strong initiative, planning and execution skills
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment to deliver high-quality work
• Ability to build and maintain relationships in a matrix environment
• Dedication and motivation to deliver high standards of client service
What it takes:
• A deep relationship with media and influencers, impeccable writing and editing skills, and a commitment to delivering excellent work while managing competing deadlines.
• A passion for news with the ability to identify important trends, alignment to our business priorities and identify creative new approaches
• A bachelors degree in marketing, communications or similar with specialization in public relations, business, communications or a related discipline from a recognized institution plus 10 years relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
• Demonstrated ability to represent the organization as a credible spokesperson.
• A results-oriented individual with exceptional strategic thinking and problem-solving abilities.
• Effective leadership, decision making and communication skills.
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
In this role, you’ll be provided with a degree of flexibility in where your work is performed while meeting business needs. This includes the flexibility to also work full-time from the office as all of our roles require at least some in-person time.
To learn more about the recruitment process with FortisBC, please visit the You’re Applying. What now? page for additional information.