Are you ready to join a fast-paced team that strives to tell inspiring stories that bring the Tolko values to life every day? Are you passionate about using your communications skills to help build Tolko’s brand in the communities where we operate? Are you looking to grow your career with a company that will invest in your future?
Reporting to the Communications Manager, the Communications Advisor is an integral part of a small but dynamic team based in beautiful Vernon, BC. As a generalist, you will be responsible for helping to pro-actively manage and maintain our strong reputation in a role that includes communications planning and implementation, issues and crisis management, media relations and community investment. You will also provide internal and digital communications support to help take Tolko’s communication function to the next level.
The successful candidate will excel at:
- Earning the confidence of internal customers and gaining their support for an integrated approach to communications that supports the Tolko brand
- Executing communication plans efficiently, creatively, reflecting high-quality work
- Modelling exceptional personal communication and professionalism
- Not just writing well, but also thoughtfully presenting information in the best way to achieve objectives
- Listening through social media, research and other channels to identify opportunities to initiate or improve communications
- Contributing to continuous improvement for all communications—including peer editing and coaching
- Engaging external vendors for specialized expertise
- Supporting an overall effort for pro-active communications, including anticipating the needs of clients
- Maintaining confidentiality
Fit with the Tolko values are critical in this role, so you are also:
- A confident, strategic thinker with an enthusiastic attitude and entrepreneurial spirit, creative and innovative, not afraid to take risks and present opposing viewpoints in the spirit of open communication
- A true internal consultant, who is collaborative and customer-focused with the ability to build and maintain relationships
- Someone who works well with people at all levels, under pressure and deadlines, and can handle competing priorities and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Known for your integrity and for treating others with respect
- Someone who likes to have fun!
- Degree or diploma in Communications/Public Relations
- A minimum of five years’ experience as a communications generalist
- Professional accreditation and/or membership in IABC, CPRS or equivalent is an asset
- Knowledge of SharePoint, Microsoft applications, social media platforms, Photoshop and InDesign
- Knowledge of emergency response communications is an asset
With state-of-the-art operations across Western Canada, Tolko is a leading manufacturer of a wide range of forest products for customers around the world. For over 60 years, our family-owned company has been recognized by our customers and business partners for being reliable, flexible, efficient and offering quality products. With the third generation of family leadership, we’re continuing that legacy today in our mills throughout Western Canada.
At Tolko, our values, vision and mission aren’t just what we believe. They’re how we work, live and serve our customers every day. Fundamental to our success is a committed workforce that thrives on change, building relationships, and a drive toward excellence.
We are committed to the well-being of future generations through responsible operational and environmental performance. This commitment applies to all aspects of our business. We hold third-party certification on the forestlands that we sustainably manage in BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan. And, through our community investment strategy we strive to play an active and constructive role in the communities where we live and work. Whether we’re providing jobs, volunteering or giving through donations, we work to make our communities stronger and more vibrant through active participation.
When you join Tolko, you’re saying yes to a company that has been built on integrity, respect, and by providing employees with the inclusive environment, support and opportunity they need to make great things and build great lives.
We’re more than an industry leader. We’re the place where you succeed as our most valuable resource!
- An unyielding commitment to your personal safety
- Competitive pay and exceptional benefits
- The opportunity to work with the best and brightest in the industry
- Diverse opportunities
- An open, innovative culture
- A positive, dynamic work environment
- Technical and leadership training to ensure you work successfully and safely
- The chance to live (and play) where you work
A Career With Tolko Is More Than A Job
It’s pride in what you do. It’s making a difference every single day, working side by side with people you respect.
Explore our opportunities, submit your application, and join a company that works for you, your family, and your community!
If this position sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you! Applications will accepted at www.tolko.com until July 8, 2018.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.