The AMS is a unique player in the non-profit space. Our Mission: to improve the quality of the educational, social and personal lives of the students of UBC Vancouver. We are led by the AMS Leadership, a team of five elected representatives from the student body. Our organization also provides a robust portfolio of student services to support young adults in their personal and professional lives. On top of that, the AMS also runs a bustling Food and Beverage operation consisting of 9 outlets and a conferences and catering operation.
As Communications and Marketing Manager, you own the planning and direction of the AMS’ Marketing efforts in consultation with the AMS Student Executive Team, Student Services and Food and Beverage Operations. You will provide leadership to the AMS Creative Team, distributing tasks and developing the team to better support the AMS. The role also mentors the Student Executives, particularly in the External Affairs, and Academic and University Affairs portfolios, in fulfilling their advocacy initiatives. This role is an excellent fit for experienced, mid-career managers who are looking to make a difference in the lives of young people.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the development, implementation, and analysis of innovative and strategic communications and marketing to support the organization's mission, goals, values and objectives with the goal of enhancing the work of our governance, business, and service operations.
- Oversee the management and continued development of the AMS brand, ensuring communication and marketing products, services, and other offerings conform to the brand identity through graphics, language, and tone.
- Manage the goal-setting, budgeting, development and human resources functions of the Communications Department, including the graphic design team.
- Manage our social media campaigns from start-to finish with a focus on brand awareness
- Identify and manage opportunities in internal and external communications as well as social and digital media.
- Manage and coordinate all levels of communications, marketing or PR campaigns including: AMS’s websites, digital signage network, social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, etc.), app, and e-newsletters.
- Enhance overall media relations for the AMS by identifying Public Relations opportunities, maintaining the AMS’ media list, providing media training, outreach activities, and coordinating media interviews for AMS Executives.
- Oversee all internal building signage and way finding inclusive of monitoring, developing, updating, and working with third-party organizations
- Increase traffic and overall use of the AMS Student Nest with a focus both on engaging students as service users, club members, and AMS business patrons.
- Oversee development, edits and production of effective content for proposals, presentations, social media and marketing campaigns
- Oversee and track media coverage and social media analytics to provide recommendations to the appropriate stakeholders
- Assist with business development alongside the Operations team.
- Attend industry events and conferences as required.
- Attend AMS council meetings as a resource when required.
- Work within the AMS mission statement and values to operate a successful department.
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Relevant post-secondary degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or relevant equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 2-5 years’ experience in a management or supervisory position
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ progressive experience in a similar communications work or related field
- Proven ability to develop and execute strategic communication plans for internal and external audiences Demonstrated experience in brand management and advancement
- Professional writing and communication skills required. Strong presentation and rhetorical skills preferred
- Experience leading and managing creative teams and complex creative processes
- Comfortable in working with cross-functional groups with differing stakeholders
- Creative, enthusiastic, self-motivated, team player
- Positive attitude – responsive and student -service oriented
- Ability to network and build internal and external relationships
- Knowledge and experience in a Windows- based computer environment, including MS Office
- Knowledge of graphic computer design programs (Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Dreamweaver) as well as HTML would be an asset but not required
- Comfortable in relating to, interacting with, and working with university students
- Experience with Word Press, Google Analytics, Hoot suite is an asset
- Ability to balance the seriousness of work with the fun of working in a student society
Please submit a resume and cover letter by clicking the "Apply Now" button below.
Application Deadline: EXTENDED Friday, March 9th at 5pm
Thank you for your interest at the AMS. Due to the large volume of resumes we receive at the AMS, we are only able to contact those we are interested in interviewing and cannot reply to email/phone/walk-in inquiries regarding application status.
The AMS is an equal opportunity employer.