The Advisor, Member and Stakeholder Engagement will be responsible for delivering on the Stakeholder Relations plan that serves to advance the organizational impact strategies around Climate, Equity, Anti-Racism, and Reconciliation. The Advisor will work closely with internal and external stakeholder groups to develop a coordinated and centralized approach to stakeholder relations, uncovering strategic opportunities to work with aligned stakeholders including policy makers, business leaders, members, academia, sector influences, civil society institutions and non-profit organizations in service of a clean and fair world. The Advisor will collaborate with the strategic communications, marketing, and government relations team to influence the public conversation, and help socialize Vancity’s leadership among key stakeholder audiences on these complex issues we are focused on. The position will have an acute understanding of the current stakeholder landscape – knowing who the key players are locally to internationally, staying informed about what’s happening, tracking emerging challenges and opportunities, leading targeted stakeholder communications and outreach, and identifying and activating stakeholder partnerships. This position will have a solid understanding of where and how we are currently positioned externally and propose new platforms and opportunities to further our organization’s impact strategies.
A typical day would involve:
- Support the development of the Stakeholder Relations plan to deliver on organizational impact strategies including Climate, Equity, Anti-Racism, and Reconciliation. This role will work collaboratively with Vancity’s communications, government relations, climate strategy, community investment, and marketing teams and their diverse stakeholder audiences including government, business leaders, members, sector influencers, civil society institutions, indigenous groups, and equity serving organizations.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive map of Vancity’s stakeholder universe and how we are showing up externally to identify strengths and gaps in our existing network, and to uncover opportunities to work with new and aligned stakeholders on shared objectives. Consolidate and analyze key findings and insights from the stakeholder groups that can feed into our organizational strategies and decisions.
- Initiate, develop and maintain strong relations with external partners and community organizations that align with Vancity’s strategic priorities or business objectives. Through these relations, you’ll keep a strong pulse on the external environment, learn best practices, identify emerging opportunities, and connect them with key internal teams that are executing on our collective impact strategies. Simultaneously, build and maintain strong relationships with internal stakeholders to understand needs and objectives across the credit union and how they intersect with external stakeholder activities.
- Identify strategic opportunities to work with stakeholder groups or individual stakeholders in service of shared goals.
- Work collaboratively with relevant teams in ERIS Division to deliver on targeted stakeholder communications, events, engagement initiatives, and cultivate prospective thought leadership opportunities to grow Vancity’s reputation and profile.
- Create measurement and evaluation tools to help determine the effectiveness of our Stakeholder Relations work.
- A Strong Relationship Manager – you have demonstrated excellence in strong stakeholder management at all levels. Ability to hold political acuity and careful judgement in managing relationships with influential and vocal advocacy groups with diverse needs and priorities that will not always align with Vancity’s. It will also require a high capacity to hold a lot of information, manage reputational risk and understand the broader ecosystem of policy and issues.
- A Strategist - you are able to act as an advisor and strategist to senior leadership on strategic opportunities to work with other stakeholders in service of shared goals.
- An Influencer – you motivate and foster collaborative work with cross-functional stakeholders across the enterprise.
- An Expert Communicator - you are able to articulate complex concepts into simple language, address escalated challenges and issues in reporting areas, and represent your functional area across the organization and community.
- A Problem Solver –you have strong analytical and decision-making skills that lead diagnosis of critical challenges, develop integrated business solutions, and assess risks and opportunities that may affect functional area.
- A Collaborator – you work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to reach collective impact goals.
- A Project Manager - you have exceptional project management, prioritization, multi-tasking, and time management skills.
- An Agile and Adaptable Leader – you are able to work in a complex and fast-paced environment. You are able to stay agile and adaptable to emerging work and be comfortable in exploring undefined new spaces.
- A bachelors, or higher, degree in a related field.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience coordinating and activating on stakeholder relations across complex issue areas, with preference given to those with familiarity in the climate and/or equity space.
- Direct experience building relationships with senior stakeholders and implementing stakeholder communications and engagement initiatives with systems influencers. Experience facilitating and convening key stakeholders is an asset.
- Good understanding of current policy issues at a high-level – does not need to be a subject matter expert but needs to understand how the parts fit together and be able to collaborate with others to deepen an understanding of the big picture.
- Willingness to travel throughout the lower mainland and work flexible hours (weeknights and weekends) as required.
In this role, you will report into the Director, Member and Stakeholder Engagement.
Applicants must include their cover letter along with the resume.
Posting deadline: Posted until closed.
Please note that all shortlisted candidates for this role will be required to complete a background check which includes resume verification, credit check, criminal record check, and proof of full COVID-19 vaccination status. Exemptions requested under Human Rights law will be addressed through Vancity’s accommodations processes.
- When you join Vancity as an employee and a member, you join a movement that believes that when we use money for what’s right, we truly are a financial force for change.
- Our vision is to redefine wealth—and we are doing so by using the tools of finance to prioritize the wellbeing of our members and our communities by tackling the climate crisis and we are proving every day that sustainable is
- We are the largest private-sector Living Wage Employer in Canada and have been consistently recognized as one of the Top Employers in Canada. Come join our team of 2,600 diverse individuals and access competitive rewards & benefits, all while knowing you are apart of a greater movement.
- Start your Vancity career journey with us even if you’re new to financial services! We provide in-house paid training to gain general financial knowledge, and to learn about our products & services. We encourage opportunities to learn & develop to prepare you for career success, which in turn continuously impresses how we serve our membership.
- Vancity is committed to a diverse workplace and values Integrity, Innovation, Responsibility and Reconciliation.
- To learn more about Vancity, please visit vancity.com/AboutVancity.