Government and Media Relations Officer (Media Relations Officer)
Duration: Permanent, Full Time
Location: Richmond, BC
Deadline date: May 21, 2021
Our Government and Media Relations department is growing and looking for a seasoned media relations officer to join our team. In this role, you'll respond to media enquiries on a variety of topics relating to our lines of business and support the production and revision of media and issues management documents. You'll also create and implement proactive media relations plans and strategies to support organizational goals and initiatives.
You'll be joining our Government and Media Relations team which works to build and strengthen relationships with government, media and community stakeholders and strives to support an organization that makes a difference to the workers and employers of British Columbia.
This position is a full-time permanent position and will be remotely based during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please note that after the pandemic, the position may be based in either the Victoria or Richmond office.
As a media relations officer you will:
- Liaise with senior departmental staff, as well as staff throughout our organization, to ensure external communications are consistent with our strategic direction
- Develop communications strategies, media plans, briefing notes, news releases, media advisories, backgrounders, fact sheets, and key messages
- Build and maintain productive relationships with external stakeholders; in particular, with key media and government stakeholders
- Communicate directly with senior management and government on requests for information
- Support the coordination, development and delivery of presentations and informational publications
- Coordinate media outreach, including pitching stories to media, distributing editorial media materials, and setting up interviews
- Develop and maintain targeted media lists and analyze media output, as required
- Track media inquiries and create quarterly reports on proactive outreach
We're looking for someone who can:
- Clearly and concisely present and explain technical information, verbally and in writing in plain language, to audiences with varying levels of understanding and information needs
- Independently plan, organize and prioritize multiple projects and tasks to meet departmental and organizational deadlines and goals
- Work with media and internal stakeholders to provide timely, accurate, informed and contextual responses to queries
- Be a flexible and active team player
- Strive to achieve best outcomes in a collaborative work environment
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external clients by putting them at ease, responding courteously, and providing solid advice and consultation
- Analyze large volumes of complex information and create proactive communication plans and strategies
- Apply understanding of the communications industry to help provide advice in planning
- Apply understanding of BC's news media landscape as well as BC's political landscape to inform both reactive and proactive media relations
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with stakeholder contacts
Your experience and educational background:
- A bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, public relations, political science or a similar discipline
- A minimum of three years of experience in the field of communications, media relations, journalism or government relations
- A minimum of three years of experience working with government, crown corporations or agencies, and ministries
- Experience working with MLAs or other elected officials
- Experience in issues management
- Experience working in media relations or journalism is considered an asset
- We'll consider an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Please send any additional application materials via email to Talent Team by 4:30 p.m. on the closing date of the competition.
If you require an accommodation in the assessment process, please email HR Testing Accommodation (SM) at the time you submit your application.
Who are we?
At WorkSafeBC, we're dedicated to promoting safe and healthy workplaces across British Columbia. We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries and diseases occur, we provide compensation, and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We also work diligently to sustain our workers compensation system for today and future generations. We're honoured to serve the 2.5 million workers and 249,000 registered employers in our province.
We recognize that our ability to make a difference relies on building a team with a rich variety of skills, knowledge, backgrounds, abilities, and experiences, and which reflects the diversity of the people we serve. We are committed to fostering a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive work culture where everyone can contribute as their best, authentic self. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
What's it like to work at WorkSafeBC?
It's challenging, stimulating and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important and so are the people we do it for.
Being part of WorkSafeBC means being part of a strong, committed team. Along with a competitive salary, your total compensation package includes vacation, optional leave arrangements, health care and dental benefits, and contributions toward your retirement pension. As a member of our team, you'll have access to services and benefits that can help you get the most out of work — and life. Learn more about what we offer.
If you're the successful applicant, we'll be making a conditional offer contingent upon your clearing a criminal record check under the Criminal Records Review Act. At the time of offer, you'll need to provide consent for a criminal record check. Once we receive clearance, we'll confirm your offer of employment.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Thank you, in advance, for applying.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/6082e4994a30320525e2cc78/5ee8cdf24530fa089f2b7e90/en