Position Title: Manager, Communications
Posting Number: 01857SA
Location: Anvil Office Tower, New Westminster
Employment Type: Full-Time
Regular hours of work are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Travel between Douglas College’s campuses will be required.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That’s how Douglas College defines a great career. It’s a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC’s Top Employers. We love what we do. And we’re looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada’s best colleges even better.
The Manager, Communications is responsible for developing and implementing internal and external communications strategies and activities at the College, including researching, planning, managing, monitoring and measuring the impact of communications and other related functions. The Manager works closely with, and reports to the Director, Marketing and Communications.
Under the general direction of the Director, Marketing and Communications, the Manager, Communications is accountable for the following:
- Managing, mentoring, evaluating and overseeing employees within the Marketing and Communications Office for positions reporting to the Manager, Communications;
- Developing and implementing internal and external communications strategies for the College;
- Developing content strategies and facilitating ongoing management of the college-wide intranet, social media accounts and digital display screens;
- Conducting ongoing research in the form of scans, audits or surveys of College communications touch-points with students and the community to evaluate and improve their effectiveness;
- Collaborating with MCO leadership, as well as other College partners to develop communications for prospective students and applicants;
- Leading the Marketing and Communications Office in the use of a college-wide customer relationship management system;
- Developing College-wide communication standards, guidelines and frameworks and supporting their implementation throughout the College;
- Overseeing, monitoring and evaluating daily College-wide communications activities;
- Collaborating with administrators and faculty on the development of key messages and talking points;
- Acting as a resource for crisis communications and issues management;
- Under the direction of Director, Marketing and Communications, drafting speeches, briefing notes, plans, web pages, social media posts and other forms of communication;
- Attending networking or other business-development functions on behalf of the College;
- Participating in relevant professional organizations and keeping current on relevant emerging opportunities;
- Under the direction of the Director, Marketing and Communications, representing the College and College interests before various organizations and groups;
- At the request of the Director, Marketing and Communications, informing the Senior Management Team on matters relating to communications;
- Exercising signing authority on behalf of the Department for expenditures as assigned;
- Sitting on assigned committees as required;
- Acting on behalf of the Director, Marketing and Communications in their absence as requested; and
- Performing other related duties as required.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
- Established professional credibility as evidenced by a degree from an accredited post-secondary institution in a related area of study, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Minimum of five years of experience at a management level in communications;
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with communications theory, strategies, practices, and techniques;
- Proven record of leading a team of professional communicators;
- Excellent organizational, analytical and leadership skills;
- Excellent written, presentation and oral communication skills; and
- Demonstrated ability to model appropriate professional, ethical and collaborative behaviors consistent with the responsibilities of this position.
- Leadership competencies include:
- Communications Skills – Possesses outstanding communication skills, both verbal, and written and expresses thoughts in an organized, concise manner. Develops and delivers effective presentations. Has the ability to present information and ideas to diverse groups.
Team Building – Builds strong relationships with staff. Is a respectful, diligent manager of people with an ability to mentor and earn the respect of the team.
Results-Focused – Is able to effectively implement strategic initiatives. Uses business analytics to continually assess performance. Modifies practices accordingly to meet and exceed goals.
Influential and Collaborative – Has an honest, open, and consistent approach to working with others toward organizational strategic objectives and possesses strong relationship and interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships and develop and maintain partnerships.
Creative Problem Solving – Brings forward and implements new ideas to solve communications challenges.
Motivated and Modern – Continuously seeks to stay current and be at the leading edge in modern communications practices and is committed to continuous learning; one that is self‐motivated and self‐directed, being able to work independently with sense of urgency to task completion.
Organizationally Astute – Is diplomatic and tactful; non-confrontational; recognizes internal and external sensitivities; has an intuitive ability to read the political implications of recommendations and actions; uses sound judgment.
Energetic & Adaptable – Is prepared to take on longer-term initiatives and does so with enthusiasm; ability to adapt to new and changing situations; able to alter course/direction when necessary; enjoys and embraces new challenges. Flexible; able to deal with stress effectively.
Special Instructions To Applicant
Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online. Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling this position. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying. All candidates selected for interview will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
Link to Full Position Profile