As a Media Relations Strategist you will be a key member of Vancity’s Communications and Stakeholder Relations team, serving as the organization’s primary media relations strategist.
The Communications and Stakeholder Relations team is responsible for executing on the strategic communications plan and enhancing and guiding how Vancity shows up externally. The team is focused on communicating that our values drive our actions on issues of climate, anti-racism, equity, and Reconciliation.
In this role, you will provide strategic counsel and guidance on all media relations activities throughout Vancity, developing content and executing on media relations plans in support of Vancity’s strategic objectives.
- Take a proactive and strategic approach to storytelling to build upon Vancity’s legacy as an impact-driven financial institution.
- Act as the primary media contact for all media requests.
- Establish and develop trusted relationships with media and other key stakeholders both within and outside of Vancity.
- Be responsible for first line issues management and responses to mitigate potential reputational risk, providing advice and support to other departments within the organization.
- Develop and execute earned media initiatives; produce messaging, briefing materials, issue notes and a wide array of other external communications collateral.
- Be accountable for daily media management and monitoring of coverage.
- Provide communications advice, resources, and tactics to Vancity spokespeople that support project/program objectives.
- An accomplished strategic communicator who knows how to navigate quickly in a fast-paced, high-visibility environment and have a deep understanding of media and public relations, stakeholder engagement, as well as issues and crisis management.
- An industry leader who has a proven track record of delivering earned media across business, consumer and community outlets and have superlative planning, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Detail-oriented with highly developed writing and editing skills and experience working to deadline.
A minimum of five years of experience in communications focused on media relations.
Degree in Communications, Journalism, or relevant field, or a combination of education/training, skills and experience.
Bonus points, if you have:
Experience working in a political or non-profit, issues-focused ecosystem.
You will be a member of the Communications and Stakeholder Relations team, reporting into the Senior Manager, External Communications.
- When you join Vancity as an employee and a member, you join a movement that believes that when we use money for what’s right, we truly are a financial force for change.
- Our vision is to redefine wealth—and we are doing so by using the tools of finance to prioritize the wellbeing of our members and our communities, proving every day that sustainable is profitable.
- We are the largest private-sector Living Wage Employer in Canada and have been consistently recognized as one of the Top Employers in Canada. Our team of 2,600 diverse individuals has access to competitive rewards and benefits.
- Start your Vancity career journey with us even if you’re new to financial services! We provide in-house paid training to gain general financial knowledge, and to learn about our products and services. We encourage opportunities to learn and develop to prepare you for career success, which in turn continuously impresses how we serve our membership.
- We are committed to a diverse workplace and value Integrity, Innovation, Responsibility and Reconciliation. While we review all applicants, we will be prioritizing applicants who self-identify as Indigenous peoples (First Nations, Inuit, and Metis), Members of visible minorities, and Persons with disabilities.
To learn more about Vancity, please visit www.vancity.com/AboutVancity