Welcome back! September ushers in the beginning of shorter days, the changing of autumn leaves, back-to-school for many, and it also marks the start of a new IABC/BC program year. We wish you well as we begin a very different September than any we have experienced before.
Our excitement looks different this year too, but our commitment remains the same: to support this vibrant community by providing a friendly, welcoming, and supportive network for our members to connect with each other; as well as providing knowledge resources, certification, mentoring, and awards programming.
Our talented board of directors have been building plans throughout the summer months to help guide our chapter’s strategy and we look forward to working with our broader volunteer team to start rolling out this new programming.
A few of the highlights for this coming year include:
- Connecting organizations looking for talented communications professionals seeking new opportunities through our Jobline postings.
- Creating opportunities to connect through virtual socials, professional development, special interest group events, and our annual Wave Awards
- Providing programming and events tailored for students and new communicators to support your transitions, such landing your first job in communications or navigating a career change during these unique and challenging times.
- Organizing a physically distanced certification exam in November…stay tuned for more info.
- Exploring new and expanded opportunities for partnerships and offerings in our virtual environment.
- Ongoing opportunities for our members to write articles for the IABC/BC blog.
- Hosting virtual Get Connected events with a new emphasis on organizing smaller, regional events to allow our members to connect with local communications professionals in their community. If you’re interested in being involved in planning a virtual membership social in your area, please email members at iabc.bc.ca.
- Ongoing opportunities to gain skills, give back, and expand your network by volunteering with our chapter. Connect with volunteers at iabc.bc.ca to find out more.
We hope to be able to host in-person events again in the near future, but for now we are proceeding with plans to host virtual events likely until the end of 2020. We will continue to monitor the situation, heed the advice of our health professionals, and incorporate flexibility and nimbleness in our planning for the new year. Supporting the success and health of our members is of highest importance to us, which includes ensuring that you feel supported during these trying times.
Thank you for choosing IABC/BC as your community.