Maternity Leave, Contract (15 months)
BC Children’s Hospital is one of the most recognized and highly regarded institutions in the province and has been rated the top brand in BC through research conducted by Insights West.
BC Children’s Hospital Foundation (BCCHF) serves to support the tremendous efforts of the Hospital – its amazing medical care and outstanding research. Our vision is ambitious: Every child is healthy and able to fulfill their hopes and dreams. Our mission: Be a catalyst for transformative child health through excellence in philanthropy, collaboration and advocacy.
The Foundation is looking for people who share our passion to better the lives of children and their families to join us in our quest and successfully advance our vision and mission.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting to the Director, Marketing and Communications, the Communications Specialist is responsible for participating in the development and execution of creative communications strategies to build the profile and brand awareness of BC Children’s Hospital.
This 15-month contract position comes at an exciting and pivotal time for the Foundation as we prepare for the opening of the new Teck Acute Care Centre – the heart of BC Children’s Hospital – which will open in Fall 2017. A significant component of the successful applicant’s work will be development and execution of a communications plan in support of this milestone initiative.
We are looking for an individual who is at the forefront of a rapidly evolving communications profession, executing against traditional approaches with excellence, while embracing next generation tools and techniques. You will build relationships with both traditional media players and online media influencers and ensure optimal delivery of key messages with innovative story content.
More specifically, as Communications Specialist you will:
- Build and execute a communications plan for the new Teck Acute Care Centre
- Participate in the development and execution of the annual brand plan, including our content calendar
- Develop other communications plans, as required, and use ongoing strategic media thinking, including complementary social and digital media efforts to support our objectives
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with representatives within the Foundation, hospital, PHSA and research group to aid in content development and successful programs.
- Write and disseminate Foundation news releases, pursue sources and story leads and pitch proactive newsworthy story ideas
- Develop and maintain targeted media lists including online media and bloggers
- Ensure the value of interview requests from media are assessed and handled in a timely manner, meeting media deadlines
- Source appropriate spokespeople for media requests, handle briefings and coordinate interviews
- Manage all projects in accordance with goals and priorities of the Marketing and Communications team
- Work closely with all members of the Marketing and Communications team to ensure a fully integrated approach that maximizes impact in the most resource efficient manner
- Track and measure the effectiveness of communications initiatives and prepare wrap-up reports
As the ideal candidate, you come with an established track record and at least five years of experience in a fast paced communications department or agency. You bring current and trending knowledge of industry best practices and a pro-active and creative problem-solver. You have demonstrated ability to build relationships and collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
Our ideal candidate embodies our values of Excellence, Collaboration, Integrity, Accountability and Innovation and exemplifies the following:
- Strong analytical skills and strategic, inquiring mind;
- Exceptional writing skills in a wide variety of communication types;
- Collaborative team player;
- Demonstrated results with traditional and non-traditional media, experience in using a variety of technologies and platforms including online and blogger relations, and content development and management
- Gifted in writing and storytelling for a variety of audiences;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with the ability to multi-task and work calmly under pressure.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for this contract position, please apply online at www.bcchf.ca/careers by Wednesday, March 1, 2017.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.