VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation partners with donors to significantly improve specialized health care and research in BC. Last year, our revenue was over $77 million last year for Vancouver General Hospital, UBC Hospital, GF Strong Rehab Centre, Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute and Vancouver Community Services. Further information about the Foundation is available at www.vghfoundation.ca.
VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation is looking for a professional writer to support the communications and fundraising activities of the Foundation. Reporting to the Associate Director, Marketing and Communications, the Officer will provide communication services including writing, editing, and strategic counsel on communications for the Foundation. The candidate will write in a compelling, inspiring donor centric way. This will, at times, require the translation of complex healthcare information into a compelling needs-based format to support fundraising.
- With storyteller’s point of view, conducts research and interviews to develop print, web and social media content;
- Develops and pitches media stories, releases and background materials;
- Develops and executes communications plans;
- Collaborates with the MarCom team in the development of strategic marketing and promotional materials and presentations for a variety of audiences;
- Writes and/or edits recognition, thank you and fundraising letters and proposals;
- Ensures the brand standards, messaging and style guidelines are consistent across all communication channels;
- Provides communication advice, strategy and support to Foundation team members, volunteers and community fundraising partners.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor degree in journalism, communications and/or public relations;
- 5+ years of experience as a brand writer and/or communications specialist;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, with a flair for storytelling, in print, online and social media channels;
- Strong language skills and the ability to adjust content to remain consistent with the brand;
- Meticulous editing and proof- reading skills, with working knowledge of Canadian Press style;
- Familiarity with the advanced features of Microsoft Office suite of products and knowledge of a donor management system (Raiser’s Edge) preferred;
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud (including In Design) and Word Press are also an assets;
- Ability to manage multiple, often competing priorities in a fast-paced environment with tight timelines;
- A strong team player with excellent judgment, interpersonal skills, resourcefulness, and creativity;
- A strategic thinker who can effectively collaborate with the MarCom team members, fundraisers and clinical staff;
- Experience in the non-profit sector an asset as is a sense of humour and passion for creating “best in class” MarCom materials.
This is a full-time, permanent position with competitive salary and benefits. Start date: Immediate.
If you possess the qualifications and experience indicated, please email your resume and cover letter, with “Marketing Communications Officer” in the subject line, by Wednesday, December 7, 2016 to:
Corina Somerville (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation
855 West 12th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1M9